62 Sports Roadster restoration on new DIY TV show

This area is open to any (no profanities/etc.) subject you would like to discuss. NO VENDOR FOR SALE ITEMS

Moderator: Terri McNeill

t-birdsdotcom

62 Sports Roadster restoration on new DIY TV show

Post by t-birdsdotcom »

Just a brief posting for those who would be interested:

The DIY Network TV channel is going to be running a series of episodes of their show 'Classic Car Restoration' that will feature a 1962 T-Bird Sports Roadster.

This will premier on March 30th at 8:30pm, but each episode is run several times each week.

More details, pictures & links can be seen at:

http://www.t-birds.com/DIY.html

Thanks,

Rob Duddy
tbirdgreg

Post by tbirdgreg »

Rob
Just read your Post... about one year late. What is the follow-up information. Are Tapes available?
Gregory
63 Thunderbird Roadster
64 Thunderbird (Tonnau Cover)
mattrparks

Post by mattrparks »

You can see all the sessions online actually on the DIY website.

http://www.diynet.com/diy/ar_replica_ca ... 07,00.html

Although why they call it a "Fort" T-bird I don't know...
mike harmon

Post by mike harmon »

I believe the Sports Roadsters came with three 2-barrel carbs, while the one in the photos has a single 4-barrel carb. Apparently a lot of the triple carb engines were converted by dealers (at the owners request) to a single 4-barrel for improved drivabililty and ease of maintenance. Was this project car restored to the triple setup?
mattrparks

Post by mattrparks »

No, I think they actually bolted on an aftermarket (holley or edelbrock or something) high-flow carburetor, and they also put in aluminum heads and performance intake.
Alan H. Tast

Roadsters & Tripower

Post by Alan H. Tast »

The M-series tripower was an option on all T-birds from mid-'62 through mid-'63. The Sports Roadsters came standard with the 4-barrel Autolite 4100 on a cast iron intake, just like all the other 'Birds of the period. When the M-series option was chosen, a Ford-manufactured 3-2v aluminum intake was used with a set of Holley 2-barrel carbs, progressive throttle linkage, etc. There are other differences such as 406-style heads with bigger valves, a modified transmission valve body, larger exhaust, etc. All this is detailed in several reference books, including VTCI's 61-63 Original Factory Specifications manual.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Ed

Post by Ed »

Any way to get tapes of all nine of the DIY shows on the 1962 restoration?

Thanks,
Ed
tbirdman

Post by tbirdman »

These DIY shows lack a lot and saying these are rstoration shows is stretching it a bit, but some of it is interesting. If they really want to call it a restoration show, they would of showed how to fix a convertible top :cool: When they did the brakes, they left out bleeding the brakes.

I did have the show with the replacement of my leafsprings on TIVO. It came in handy as I came up from the garage to check on whether I was doing in correctly.

I would like a show on what to do when the bolt snaps or the nuts are rusted on.

Ken
64 conv