Number of Thunderbirds produced

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

ShirleyBird

Number of Thunderbirds produced

Post by ShirleyBird »

Is there a way to find out how many birds came off the line in a certain color combination? I have been trying to find one that is the same color as mine but I've had no luck. 1965 Ivy Green metallic outside with a black vinyl top and black interior. Almost like a Marti report but for earlier cars.
Alan H. Tast

Re: Number of Thunderbirds produced

Post by Alan H. Tast »

In short, no. While one person kept all the factory invoices for '64-'66s for many years before her estate sold them to Marti, no access was granted to catalog what was there. The closest we can come to figuring out color usage is to compile information from data collected by enthusiasts and generate percentages. I've been doing this since the '90s for VTCI as part of the Owner Survey program, but haven't updated this in over 10 years as I have other priorities in life right now like authoring technical articles for the Scoop.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Richard

Post by Richard »

I would like to know too but know it is not possible. My 1965 Tbird is Charcoal Grey Metallic which was a one year color,I guess it was not very popular. Anybody out there have the same color?
When I put my car on the Tbird registry they got back to me and said they very rarely see that color..
Lincoln also used that color but dont know if also for one year..
At car shows many times people say they have never seen my color and is not original..Then I explain the S code for that color on the door tag..
1965 Hardtop Charcoal Gray Metallic
VTCI#12157
ShirleyBird

Post by ShirleyBird »

I understand, that is an interesting color I haven’t seen one either
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

Richard wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:36 am I would like to know too but know it is not possible. My 1965 Tbird is Charcoal Grey Metallic which was a one year color,I guess it was not very popular. Anybody out there have the same color?
When I put my car on the Tbird registry they got back to me and said they very rarely see that color..
Lincoln also used that color but dont know if also for one year..
At car shows many times people say they have never seen my color and is not original..Then I explain the S code for that color on the door tag..
Would love to see a photo, if you have one at hand.

~Steve
Richard

Post by Richard »

20140119_093529 2.jpg
I have since added the deluxe wheel covers..
1965 Hardtop Charcoal Gray Metallic
VTCI#12157
rzcrisis

Post by rzcrisis »

Is it possible that John Rotella at the Thunderbird registry may be able to provide some info? I know he helped me with questions a few years back which included info on old dealerships in California for my bird.
Thunderbird Registry #37580
1964 Ford Thunderbird 2DR HT ("Thelma"-our California girl)
64thunderbird64

Post by 64thunderbird64 »

As far as I am aware the Thunderbird Registry is one of the best places to go to find out this kind of information, along with club member surveys to gather the best guesses possible.

You can sort by year, body style, color, etc on www.tbird.info