Three Digit Paint Code?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

64thunderbird64

Three Digit Paint Code?

Post by 64thunderbird64 »

This past week someone contacted me regarding a car they had just bought, It was a 1962 hardtop with "PM1" paint code.

It is on the data plate, and on the build sheet. I do not think this is an error as there are 9 other 1961-1962 Thunderbirds documented in the Thunderbird Registry with a 3 digit paint code, all ending in "1". Does anyone know what this means?

On the build sheet the one is in a box labeled "TU"?
Attachments
1y71z115128build sheet.png
Alan H. Tast

Re: Three Digit Paint Code?

Post by Alan H. Tast »

64thunderbird64 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:55 pm This past week someone contacted me regarding a car they had just bought, It was a 1962 hardtop with "PM1" paint code.

It is on the data plate, and on the build sheet. I do not think this is an error as there are 9 other 1961-1962 Thunderbirds documented in the Thunderbird Registry with a 3 digit paint code, all ending in "1". Does anyone know what this means?

On the build sheet the one is in a box labeled "TU"?
Hate to tell you but the ROT (and most likely your friend's car) has a 1961 serial number (1Y = 1961, 2Y=1962). The '1' code stands for two-tone paint with body painted one color (P-Silver Moss Metallic/Silver-Green), which was a Lincoln color and available by special order) and roof another color (U-Deep Sea Blue Metallic/Dark Turquoise). The '1' code was used across the Ford lines (full-size, Falcon and T-bird) starting in 1960 for full-size Fords, which were available in up to three two-tone combinations of (1) body/roof, and two 'Styletone' combinations for body sides-roof pillars/horizontal surfaces (hood/trunk/roof top) - the 'Styletone' treatment with different roof/hood/trunk color was never offered on '60 or later T-birds. By '61 this was dropped back to only one choice for two-toning. The codes dropped out of use after the beginning of the '62 model year.

The 'TU" stands for (if you haven't figured it out by now) Two-Tone.

Quite frankly, this combination of Silver Moss/Deep Sea Blue Metallic was not listed in Ford's charts for two-tones, making this somewhat of an oddball car. That it has a code '56' black vinyl interior is no surprise to me - typically a special-order two-tone only was sold with a black interior from what I've observed over the decades of tracking this kind of thing.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster