Ever repair a broken turn signal switch?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

RedBird64

Ever repair a broken turn signal switch?

Post by RedBird64 »

My orig switch is fine but I've seen these kits https://www.musclecarsandclassics.ca/in ... am-1964-66
and wondered if anyone has ever used one to repair a broken cam-canceller- thingy?
Sure would beat pulling a new switch through the column.

I also wonder if they break from old age and use or do they snap from having the lever hit with too much exuberance.

Thoughts?

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Terry64HT

Re: Ever repair a broken turn signal switch?

Post by Terry64HT »

I see Mac's lists the same part, the photo is just turned 90 degrees, I didn't find it in a couple of other suppliers. A bit more expensive when you do the exchange.
I've found that Mac's parts are sometimes a bit suspect and since it was bought by Eckler's things have gotten worse. I use them as a last resort.
Just my opinion
Terry
64HT
paulr

Post by paulr »

The part is predestined to break. It’s got built in stress points using resinous nylon which dehydrates becoming brittle over time. Today’s reproductions made in China quality-wise? I’ll give ya three guesses. 😏

Use gently.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
Sierra John

Post by Sierra John »

I bought a replacement from Mac's (I think) because one of the nylon arms had broken off my old switch. After installing the new one, the turn signals wouldn't work right. I ended up removing all the wiring from the new switch and reinstalling my old wiring on the new nylon base. From then on, it's worked like new.
1966 Town Hardtop
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

That sounds like a pain John.
I hate having to pay that much for a part and then have to doctor it up too!

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
mr_ed01

Post by mr_ed01 »

The kit indicated https://www.musclecarsandclassics.ca/in ... am-1964-66, will not work on a 64. On the 64, there is a metal plate on the bottom of the nylon piece that has additional switching functions (possibly the fender mounted indicators).
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

New old stock (NOS) turn signal switches occasionally show up on eBay. Pricey. I bought one to replace the TBird supplier replacement which never worked correctly. Good luck.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers