COM Shifting Points ??

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

ricklove

COM Shifting Points ??

Post by ricklove »

Had the COM professionally rebuilt on my 126k mile 1963 Landau. What typically are the shifting speeds from 1st to 2nd, and from 2nd to 3rd? Under "regular" driving conditions, mine seems to shift into 2nd around 10 mph, and into 3rd around 35 mph. If I don't come to a complete stop around 5 - 10 mph, it stays in 3rd unless I "gas" it enough to downshift into 2nd. Normal??? TIA!!
Karl

Re: COM Shifting Points ??

Post by Karl »

G'day.
Mine shifts into second very early, even then it is hard to tell it has actually changed. I have never checked the speed into 3rd but it is not long after 2nd.
yours sounds much the same as mine.
Karl
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Sounds normal to me.
With only three gears, they use the torque of the eng a lot. Coming from a modern car with a lot more gears, it always surprises me how it lumbers around the neighborhood in high gear.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Gagarin

Post by Gagarin »

I thought that it was just me.

I can hardly note the shift from 2nd to 3rd and it seems to go immediately to 3rd? It sure seems to run a high RPM on the highway but it is certainly not a modern trans with 6-10 speeds? I had some work done on my tranny last year so I was thinking that I may have an issue with shifting but it seems to be fine until you wind it up on the highway. It has been so long since I have had an older model with an auto trans I most likely forgot how they act?

Thanks
1963 Princess Grace
1991 Alpha Romeo
2017 Fusion
2018 F-150
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

It does run high RPM's on the highway because it has no overdrive.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
GeoffInCarlsbad

Post by GeoffInCarlsbad »

I see this is an old post, but these problems persist. My 1961 had shift points at 8-10mph and then at 18-25mph depending on my drive conditions. this is well within the specs outlined in my 1961 TBird manual.

However, for some reason, after I had changed my Transmission oil and filter, fixed by shift shaft bushing, my shift points are way out of whack. now I go from 1-2 at about 25mph and don't get to 3rd until 55mph. How did that happen?

First this I checked was to make sure I had the right amount of oil in there, and I do. Then the manual has a series of checks to make, starting with the transmission control pressure and engine vacuum. My engine vacuum is just about 18psi, so I am good there.

Has anyone use a pressure gauge on their transmission?

Anyone have some suggestions on why this is happening? I am going back to the manual to begin the diagnostics, but could use some advice from someone who has done this. By the way, I just rebuilt my 390 in my garage. but the issue was already occuring.

Any help is always appreciated.
Geoff in Carlsbad CA
1961 T-Bird Convertible (in progress)
Love it! ::?
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

Just a crazy idea to consider. When you changed the shift shaft bushing did it alter the kickdown linkage adjustment?
Rusty
VTCI 13079
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

The vacuum modulator controls the 1-2 shift, and sometimes these are adjustable, and they also fail a lot.

Make sure the vacuum hose to the modulator is hooked up properly and not leaking. If it is the adjustable type, you can try adjusting it with a tiny screw driver. If not, then replace it with an adjustable.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
bigbrownpilot

Post by bigbrownpilot »

I adjusted my vacuum modulator- turned the internal screw counter-clockwise until it was almost flush with the opening in the nipple. I get a 1-2 shift around 20 and a 2-3 shift around 40 under normal acceleration. Wide open, around 30 and 50. Seems to work well for the way I drive. You might try that before you spend a lot of money chasing something down.