brake drum vendor

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

tdavis

brake drum vendor

Post by tdavis »

This post was moved to the proper location by moderator.

I have purchased a new front brake drum for my 1962 but cannot seem to locate a source for another to match (long story). When I ordered from Eckler's they sent me one 3.00" and a 2.84" (which I returned). The inside diameter of the drum is 11.030 inches and the lining width is 3.00 inches. The part number might be 66-37098. There are plenty of 2.84" drums out there but I have a new 3.00" drum and my new brake shoes are 3.00". Anyway, does anyone know a vendor supplying replacement front brake drums?
VTTBird

Re: brake drum vendor

Post by VTTBird »

Try Pat Wilson's Thunderbird.
www.wilsontbird.com
Ken
1962 Thunderbird Hardtop
VTCI # 12645
MN63Tbird

Post by MN63Tbird »

The 63 front drums are 3" wide drums. Each of the typical Thunderbird vendors sells brake drums in that size. Also you can check on line for Brake drums and find Centric makes one also. Note though from a lesson I learned this spring. Not all 63 drums are the same. I purchased one from Macs and a few years ago and what looked like a similar one from Thunderbird HQ was not. The Thunderbird HQ one was 3 lbs heavier and was better built but caused havoc on the front end when braking and traveling over 55MPH. It is best to buy the same ones from the same vendor to match the design.

MN63
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
1966 Mustang Coupe A code
tdavis

Post by tdavis »

Thanks for the replies. I have tried the usual vendors like Mac's/Eckler's, Dearborn, Larry's etc. Although I will contact them, Pat Wilson does not provide any descriptions online as to specs but the other places have actually advertised 11 1/32 (same as 11.030 right?) by three inches but then cannot deliver an actual 3.0 width". I have a 1962. The 1963 drum is apparently slightly larger at 11 3/32 so that won't work (right?) even though it may be 3.0" wide. My frustrating internet searches even led me to Muscle Cars in Canada which advertised an 11 1/32 x 3 for the Ford station wagon (and fit for the 62 Tbird) but after two weeks expecting delivery they contected me to say the drum was only 2.84" and here I am.
What do you think of using one 3.0" and one 2.84"? Would there be any effect on performance assuming this is feasible?
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

tdavis wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:52 pm Thanks for the replies. I have tried the usual vendors like Mac's/Eckler's, Dearborn, Larry's etc. Although I will contact them, Pat Wilson does not provide any descriptions online as to specs but the other places have actually advertised 11 1/32 (same as 11.030 right?) by three inches but then cannot deliver an actual 3.0 width". I have a 1962. The 1963 drum is apparently slightly larger at 11 3/32 so that won't work (right?) even though it may be 3.0" wide. My frustrating internet searches even led me to Muscle Cars in Canada which advertised an 11 1/32 x 3 for the Ford station wagon (and fit for the 62 Tbird) but after two weeks expecting delivery they contected me to say the drum was only 2.84" and here I am.
What do you think of using one 3.0" and one 2.84"? Would there be any effect on performance assuming this is feasible?
NEVER mismatch brake parts.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
Karl

Post by Karl »

Like Jim said, Absolutely, never mismatch brake parts.
What you do on one side you do exactly on the opposite side.
Cut your losses and purchase 2 from the same vendor that has drums for a 63.
I have a set that I keep as a spare and these are different from the ones that are on the car. Different vendors.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
tdavis

Post by tdavis »

Thanks to Karl and Jim. I have a 3 inch drum on its way from Pat Wilsons.