64 carb issue

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

johnson4prez
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:17 am

Re: 64 carb issue

Post by johnson4prez » Fri May 17, 2019 6:24 pm

64ZCODE wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:15 pm
That’s an Autolite, right? Unless you’re a purist, why not upgrade to a 670 cfm Holley or Edelbrock?
I do want to keep a lot of the original, but am not against upgrading the carburetor. I’ll have to do some research. Any suggestions or things to look for?

User avatar
RedBird64
Posts: 1965
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:42 pm
Location: Bothell Wa.

Re: 64 carb issue

Post by RedBird64 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:32 pm

Had Edelbrock on mine for many years. I prefer the orig to the Edelbrock, especially the choke circuit. If I had it to do over, I would avoid changing over to an electric choke as long as I could.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.

64ZCODE
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:41 pm

Re: 64 carb issue

Post by 64ZCODE » Fri May 17, 2019 11:17 pm

I'm running a Holley street avenger 670 cfm carb now, it's a great improvement over the 600 cfm I was running.
Life is short, my friends, so take my advice
Pull down your pants and slide on the ice

Raybird
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:59 am

Re: 64 carb issue

Post by Raybird » Sat May 18, 2019 5:11 am

Looking at your pic's your carb looks amazingly clean. Should be a cheap repair. These Autolite 4100's work well when clean and properly set up.
There is a good utube vid on how to teardown, clean and rebuild and adjust these which I used to do mine. Was it working ok before the float issue?

User avatar
Richard
Posts: 447
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:51 am
Location: Long Island New York

Re: 64 carb issue

Post by Richard » Sat May 18, 2019 5:40 am

64ZCODE wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:17 pm
I'm running a Holley street avenger 670 cfm carb now, it's a great improvement over the 600 cfm I was running.
Curios why the 670 is better then the 600. I had a Holley 600 installed last year and very happy with the results. I was told the 600 the right carb for the 390..Thanks..
1965 Hardtop Charcoal Gray Metallic
VTCI#12157

User avatar
Richard
Posts: 447
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:51 am
Location: Long Island New York

Re: 64 carb issue

Post by Richard » Sat May 18, 2019 5:43 am

RedBird64 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:32 pm
Had Edelbrock on mine for many years. I prefer the orig to the Edelbrock, especially the choke circuit. If I had it to do over, I would avoid changing over to an electric choke as long as I could.

Scott
Curios what issues you have with the electric choke. Had a Holley 600 installed last year with the electric choke and and very happy with it..The choke was one of a few things not right with the old Autolite I had. The one I had was date coded for a 62 anyway.. Thanks..
1965 Hardtop Charcoal Gray Metallic
VTCI#12157

User avatar
RedBird64
Posts: 1965
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:42 pm
Location: Bothell Wa.

Re: 64 carb issue

Post by RedBird64 » Sat May 18, 2019 10:32 am

Richard wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 5:43 am
RedBird64 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:32 pm
Had Edelbrock on mine for many years. I prefer the orig to the Edelbrock, especially the choke circuit. If I had it to do over, I would avoid changing over to an electric choke as long as I could.

Scott
Curios what issues you have with the electric choke. Had a Holley 600 installed last year with the electric choke and and very happy with it..The choke was one of a few things not right with the old Autolite I had. The one I had was date coded for a 62 anyway.. Thanks..
Glad it worked out well for you. I think my problems may have had something to do with where we live (Seattle suburb) and the varying temps we see. I just couldn't get the electric heater to warm up at the same rate as the eng. I'd get it set for one temperature and if it got hotter or cooler out, the choke would either shut off too soon or hang on too long.

S
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.

johnson4prez
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:17 am

Re: 64 carb issue

Post by johnson4prez » Sat May 18, 2019 10:58 am

Raybird wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 5:11 am
Looking at your pic's your carb looks amazingly clean. Should be a cheap repair. These Autolite 4100's work well when clean and properly set up.
There is a good utube vid on how to teardown, clean and rebuild and adjust these which I used to do mine. Was it working ok before the float issue?
It was just the float. I’ve attached some pics of the repairs I had done. Looks like they replaced the base gasket on the carb. It was working fine until the float issue.
Attachments
4C679773-633A-4084-90B6-146805CE0D82.jpeg
5A284241-648D-4A3E-B20B-186ADB7788A8.jpeg

User avatar
Richard
Posts: 447
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:51 am
Location: Long Island New York

Re: 64 carb issue

Post by Richard » Sat May 18, 2019 11:32 am

RedBird64 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:32 am
Richard wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 5:43 am
RedBird64 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:32 pm
Had Edelbrock on mine for many years. I prefer the orig to the Edelbrock, especially the choke circuit. If I had it to do over, I would avoid changing over to an electric choke as long as I could.

Scott
Curios what issues you have with the electric choke. Had a Holley 600 installed last year with the electric choke and and very happy with it..The choke was one of a few things not right with the old Autolite I had. The one I had was date coded for a 62 anyway.. Thanks..
Glad it worked out well for you. I think my problems may have had something to do with where we live (Seattle suburb) and the varying temps we see. I just couldn't get the electric heater to warm up at the same rate as the eng. I'd get it set for one temperature and if it got hotter or cooler out, the choke would either shut off too soon or hang on too long.

S
Thanks for this and your other helpful replies to some of my posts..You are always there to lend a helping hand..
I didnt have a working choke for a while. Now its nice to have the car warm up proper ..For me it is working nice here in NY..
1965 Hardtop Charcoal Gray Metallic
VTCI#12157

Terry64HT
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:02 pm

Re: 64 carb issue

Post by Terry64HT » Sat May 18, 2019 11:50 am

RedBird64 wrote:
Glad it worked out well for you. I think my problems may have had something to do with where we live (Seattle suburb) and the varying temps we see. I just couldn't get the electric heater to warm up at the same rate as the eng. I'd get it set for one temperature and if it got hotter or cooler out, the choke would either shut off too soon or hang on too long.
Where did you have the choke connected? I haven't heard of too many problems with electric chokes over the years.
Terry
64HT

User avatar
RedBird64
Posts: 1965
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:42 pm
Location: Bothell Wa.

Re: 64 carb issue

Post by RedBird64 » Sat May 18, 2019 1:03 pm

Terry64HT wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:50 am
RedBird64 wrote:
Glad it worked out well for you. I think my problems may have had something to do with where we live (Seattle suburb) and the varying temps we see. I just couldn't get the electric heater to warm up at the same rate as the eng. I'd get it set for one temperature and if it got hotter or cooler out, the choke would either shut off too soon or hang on too long.
Where did you have the choke connected? I haven't heard of too many problems with electric chokes over the years.
Terry
64HT
Terry, I don't remember exactly what it was connected to (that was a long time ago!) but I did check to make sure it maintained voltage when the car was running.
There's something about my (non-stock) eng that makes tuning difficult. To get the car to run good at all, the mixture had to be extremely rich - it would turn my rear valance black. Unfortunately it also needed to be lean at some points and that was impossilbe with a carb. I even had a tuning shop mess with it.
Runs way better now with the EFI since it can adjust constantly.
What ever makes it so hard to tune also may have made choke setup difficult as well. Mostly, the choke just didn't ever seem to match what the eng wanted. The EFI doesn't have any problem with it.

The thing I like about the orig carb is the choke responds precisely to the water temperature. So if it's cold and takes a long time to warm up, the choke stays on and if it's warmer, vice-versa.
I always wondered if it was possible to put the OEM heater hose and its black spring thingy on an aftermarket carb.. Could be best of all worlds!

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.

64ZCODE
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:41 pm

Re: 64 carb issue

Post by 64ZCODE » Tue May 21, 2019 9:48 pm

"Curios why the 670 is better then the 600. I had a Holley 600 installed last year and very happy with the results. I was told the 600 the right carb for the 390..Thanks."

It's just a bigger carb. More air fuel mix for the cylinders. The 390 can handle the larger carb and you get more power especially when the secondaries open up. The 600 is a little undersized for the 390.
Life is short, my friends, so take my advice
Pull down your pants and slide on the ice

johnson4prez
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:17 am

Re: 64 carb issue

Post by johnson4prez » Wed May 22, 2019 9:22 pm

Just letting everyone know I replaced the float, and the carb is working great! On to the next project. Thanks everyone. Your advice has been really appreciated.

User avatar
RedBird64
Posts: 1965
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:42 pm
Location: Bothell Wa.

Re: 64 carb issue

Post by RedBird64 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:23 pm

Sweet!
Thanks for updating us.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.

User avatar
Richard
Posts: 447
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:51 am
Location: Long Island New York

Re: 64 carb issue

Post by Richard » Thu May 23, 2019 1:33 pm

64ZCODE wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:48 pm
"Curios why the 670 is better then the 600. I had a Holley 600 installed last year and very happy with the results. I was told the 600 the right carb for the 390..Thanks."

It's just a bigger carb. More air fuel mix for the cylinders. The 390 can handle the larger carb and you get more power especially when the secondaries open up. The 600 is a little undersized for the 390.
More horsepower is always a good thing..Especially on these heavy cars.. :cool:
1965 Hardtop Charcoal Gray Metallic
VTCI#12157

Post Reply