Starter motor brushes.

This area is for posting Thunderbirds and Thunderbird parts wanted. All other posts will be removed. No vendors please......they will be removed
Karl

Starter motor brushes.

Post by Karl »

G'day.
I am looking for some starter motor brushes for a 4-1/2" Ford Starter motor.
Does anybody have any or do you know where I could purchase some.
Preferably not ebay, I know they are there but sometimes for small items the freight to Australia is a bit much. They just chuck the item in a large box and send it.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
RAVEN

Re: Starter motor brushes.

Post by RAVEN »

Karl; As I have done for Moin Abbassi in Pakistan, for his Brake Booster rebuild, I can probably do for you.
If you can send me some specs on the brushes you require, I can possibly cross reference local manufactures and send a "care" package of what you need. I will need Width, opposite Width, APPROX original length (before it was worn down), lead length and type of lead termination (fork/eyelet/spade/copper tail/ yada yada) A picture would help also.
If I am able to locate something, I will let you know.
I do not think to ship a small envelope to Down Unda would be that costly from Canada.
The reason for dimensions is to confirm that I find correct sizing, I have learned not to fully trust some counter people to provide correct items. I have heard the old saying " Oh ya that is the right part, trust me" even though the part has 3 inch of dust and has not been sold for 20 years and the kid has never seen one in his life. Some of these starters have not been utilized in over several years.
If what I find is not correct, returning the parts is a little hard for credit!!!!!!
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
Karl

Post by Karl »

Thanks Raven.
I will have a look at the old one's and send you some photo's and dimensions.
May take a few days though.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Karl, understandable with you being virtually on the other side of the world!

Wally K
1964 Red Convertible
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Karl have you tried an auto electrician? I had my original starter motor rebuilt so they must have brushes.
Karl

Post by Karl »

G'day.
Stubbie, I haven't really tried any auto electricians as such. There is a fellow who lives not far from me who is a auto electrician and he has been working on his own for about 10 years. He does a lot of 60's vehicles and is very conversant with old Fords. I get him to do all my auto electrical work and he is quite reasonable. I gave him my starter some months ago and he needs new brushes and he is having trouble getting them. He said all they want to do these days is sell you a new made in China starter motor, so I figured if he is having trouble getting them, then I won't be able to do any better. I did buy a set on ebay, they were selling them for $6.00 U.S. but it cost me just under $30.00 AU. Which is probably one of the cheapest.
I had to re-wrap the field cores in my old starter motor to re-insulate them, he supplied me with the tape and the insulation to do the job with, very time consuming but worth it.
Rewound fiels.jpg
Anyway tonight my auto electric man said that he found a set and I have got it to get measurements from so I can see if I can source some more.
Raven here is a photo of the set that I am looking for.
Starter brush set..jpg
The dimensions of the brushes are looking at the photo:-
Width of the brush - .75"
Height of the brush - .45"
Depth of the brush - .346"
Length of the twin brush from contact face to contact face - 7 - 7/16"
Length of the single brush from center of hole to contact face - 2 - 3/8"
The part in the middle of the twin brush is where you solder into the original starter motor.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Karl, I just wrote a long post in reply to your info, hit preview and it went to never never land!!!
In short, based on your info, I will see what I can do.
If I have questions, I will get back to you.

Wally
1964 Red Convertible
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Karl, just home from a walk-about.
Stopped in at my local Starter/Alternator guy and have some info:
63 FORD Starter brushes # C2DZ11057-A crosses to B8QH-11057-A Large Case crosses to 71-74 FORD D1FZ-11052-A.
Parts ready available.
They have no stock and have no need as that starter is OBSOLETE. To bring in, they will have to bring in a minimum order from supplier, and supplier has a VERY LARGE minimum quantity, before they will ship. These brushes are specific to this starter. PLUS THE PRICE!
I went ahead and ordered the brushes as you said you needed them, and they will be arriving in a few days. I was able to get the shop to split the order 50/50. You take half and they take half. Hope that is OK with you!
Hope you are sitting down, and have your wife holding your hand. The cost per brush set $10.00 and you have to take 2 brush sets.

YOU OWE ME $20.00 IF THEY ARE THE RIGHT ONES, IF NOT I EAT THE COST!

BTW Do you know Doug Bradley or Davey Bain? or will I be in trouble bringing up their names?
1964 Red Convertible
Karl

Post by Karl »

All good Raven I will take them.
Yeah I know David Bain, I went to his place yesterday. He had just acquired a 1963 Landau. I went there to look at the car to see if it was in a somewhat original condition.
My wife and I have had our Bird for just on 10 years now, and during this time I thought that I would never be able to see a car that was somewhat original to try and return my car to original. Being Thunderbirds were never actually imported as a line, individuals imported them on their own.
Well the story goes like this, The car was in storage for some 30 years in the States and then somebody imported it into Australia. He has had it for some 7 or 9 years and now he had to sell it. And Dave Bain bought it. that's the urban myth. The only problem with it is that the previous owner stored it under a tree. Well the body is repairable but not in my life time. According to a sticker on the door the last time it was serviced was in 74.
Dave Bain 4.jpg
Dave Bain 3.jpg
Dave Bain 2.jpg
Dave Bain 1.jpg
As you can see by the photo's the car is in a very rusty condition but I can't believe that it is as far as I can see very original. It even has the splash shield that goes over the alternator. The front right hand wheel is locked up and it has some 90,000 miles on the clock but it looks very original.

How do you want to get paid?
You may know or may not know I have been replicating the wire terminal ends on my 63 with some success. Are you in need of some wires to make your car like original? Maybe we can do a swap.
Here are some photo's.
Twin wire plug.jpg
Wire terminal end 3.jpg
Door courtesy light wire.jpg
Single ring, Single female quick disconect.jpg
By being able to mould the terminal end I can use any colour wire. A lot of the aftermarket one's don't have the correct colour wire.
I have had some success with printing the engineering number on the wire as well. As you can see in the one for the door courtesy light wire.

Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Karl, first off, I have known Davey since 1991, if memory serves. Had him as a house guest back when, when he came over for a visit. Took him to Detroit FORD Museum and parts about here in Ontario. He is one funny BIG RED. Say high to him for me.

In regard to brushes, let's get them to you first and make sure they are right, then we will work out how we balance the books.

I have watched your posts on terminal ends, and very impressed, even with engineering numbers, very upper quality. We might work out a resolution

Will keep in touch, Wally K
1964 Red Convertible
Karl

Post by Karl »

Just been talking to Davey, He said it's about time for a beer he is as dry as a dead dingoes donga!!!!!
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Not 100% sure but xp xm xl xk falcon look similar. Mind you may also have difficulty finding those as well. I did see a set on eBay $34.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Hey Karl, ask Davey if he has had a hot engine oil hair treatment recently?
Also tell him I will get him a "FOSTERS" his beverage of choice, :drinking: and that's Fair dinkum, plus remember, never take a video as you approach a border crossing into the U.S.A.

Wally
1964 Red Convertible
Karl

Post by Karl »

I just sent him a message on my phone Wally. See what he says.

Stubbie, I don't know if they would be the same, early Falcons had a smaller motor.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Fosters. Very 80's