Dash Pad Removal (Tips/lessons learned)

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Gagarin

Dash Pad Removal (Tips/lessons learned)

Post by Gagarin » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:05 pm

After two years of getting the drivetrain sorted I am on to a couple of nagging issues, one being some electrical gremlins, the other being removal of the dashpad, which is, in some manner connected to the electrical gremlins.

I am really a neophyte once I get out of the engine bay. I have searched this forum, read and re-read the restoration guide section on this year of bird but I cannot find any instruction related to dashpad removal? I found an instruction regarding the installation, which had some good tips but nothing on the removal?

Anyone been down this road prior?? Thank you in advance.
1963 Princess Grace
1991 Alpha Romeo
2017 Fusion
2018 F-150

Cliff Rankin

Re: Dash Pad Removal (Tips/lessons learned)

Post by Cliff Rankin » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:41 pm

I installed one on my car a while back. I’m no expert ,
But I will share my thoughts and frustrations. What do you need to know about removal ?

Gagarin

Post by Gagarin » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:41 pm

Got it....What a pain in the
1963 Princess Grace
1991 Alpha Romeo
2017 Fusion
2018 F-150

Hadders

Post by Hadders » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:07 am

Hi Just ended up removing my complete dash as the pad was pretty cracked and falling apart. Its a massive job but it does then allow full access to service any electric parts and the loads of vaccum activators! Also gave loads of room to do the heater core as that was failing due to the heater control valve thing. Basically if you have to remove all the lower dash trim and alloy, I've my center consul removed too. Then the gauge set which then allows some access to its 5 mount bolts, the wiring can then be pulled out of the way including the feed to the heater controls and resistor. Oh the speaker and radio need to go. Two bolts under the steering column - column does stay in place! Corner left and right sides there are a bracket and in the center. Don't worry about the screws in the demist vents as the vents are bolted to the underside of the dash - just take care when pulling the dash out to disconnect the heater hoses.
Being in the UK I just havent the funds to buy a new dash top, or even the moulded cover as the shipping is over double the cost of the part - crazy!!
So its sat on my bench awaiting a solution though every time I touch it another crack appears! Think I'm going to remove the lifted high split parts, fill with body filler to level and then cover with either vinyl leather type stuff if I can get the stretch or that woven stretchable van lining carpet type stuff.
Update one decided! Good luck with yours.
Andy

Gagarin

Post by Gagarin » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:05 pm

Hadders,
My apologies, I walked away from this project due to lack of info but I need to get to the wiring now and the condition of the dash pad has not improved any. I just read your response in detail, thank you. I have gutted the interior to do the carpet headliner and doors, etc.. This project has now grown legs and I do not want to leave anything I have to come back to so I am back into the dash removal. It is 36c here today, Today I am ordering parts and staying inside!

I already have the console out , radio might as well have a zipper on it I have had it out so many times. Pulling the instrument cluster scares the bejesus out of me. I will get after this next weekend.......I am still gathering pointers if anyone has any? C'mon now, you know who you are! :-)
1963 Princess Grace
1991 Alpha Romeo
2017 Fusion
2018 F-150