How to tighten side view mirror?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

dontano

How to tighten side view mirror?

Post by dontano »

Any suggestions on how to tighten up a side view mirror. My driver's side mirror is loose and will not stay in in place when I adjust it. Thanks.
ICON 1956

Re: How to tighten side view mirror?

Post by ICON 1956 »

My mirror on the drivers side of my 61 was loose, I put a small drop of crazy glue in the ball socket and adjust the mirror. I worked for me be careful not to have a drop of crazy glue to your paint. Place a rag under the mirror stem.....
Last edited by ICON 1956 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

dontano wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:03 am Any suggestions on how to tighten up a side view mirror. My driver's side mirror is loose and will not stay in in place when I adjust it. Thanks.
First off, is it a non-remote mirror, i.e. '61-'62? If it is, and assuming you mean the mirror head vs. the mounting base, some have used Loc-Tite squirted into the joint between the ball and stem, but this to me is a temporary fix. If it is really loose and just plain worn out, consider replacing it with a good used or new reproduction one. If it's the '63-style remote one, that's a different story as there is a screw that holds the mirror head/cable attachments in place.

Have you done a search for this? I recall there may be some other suggestions hanging in the Forum's 15+ years of messages and threads.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
dontano

Post by dontano »

Hi. Yes it is a non-remote mirror on a '61. I'll try the lock-tight first and also look for a repro. That's sound advice.

I'm brand new at this posting and reading in forums, so please forgive me for not knowing out how to search the 15 years of posts yet.

Thank you.
dontano

Post by dontano »

Thanks for the good advice icon 1961. I'll try that.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

I given this issue a thought, You can use JB wield apply around the ball socket let it set over night. make sure that is were the view is best for you. JB Wield makes a metal color epoxy. I now remember that I used this stuff on my Harley on the directional turning light stems. It is still bonded. This stuff is strong. My 2 cents worth. :idea:
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309