How much do you drive your car?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

jatkinson

How much do you drive your car?

Post by jatkinson »

As I was posting on another topic it came to mind that I hardly ever drive our cars. I don't seem to have enough time. But when I do have time I would rather work on them, or clean them, that sort of thing. Just wondering about every one else?
1956 T-Bird Sage Green
1970 Mustang Mach 1
2004 T-Bird Platinum Silver
1928 Model A Tudor
2018 Mustang GT Orange Furry
eboose7

Re: How much do you drive your car?

Post by eboose7 »

I read an article that Wayne Carini wrote for Hagerty. In the article, he suggested that 1,000 miles per year should be the minimum goal for driving a collector car. With club activities and car shows, I have been averaging about 1,500 miles a year on my '56 Thunderbird. Driving the car keeps it operating at peak efficiency.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

I just drive around 1,000 miles a year around town or at close car shows....
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Firstandtenth

Post by Firstandtenth »

The simple answer is - not enough! I agree that time is one of the culprits. What I have to own is the fact that I don't want to take either of them out for a drive unless they are detailed and mechanically sound so I spend more time working on them than driving them. I guess I need to get over that habit. Weekends are typically the only time I can get to take one of them out and the competition for weekend time is tremendous. I do try to get to our local 'cars and coffee' two Saturdays a month - a 20 mile round trip. Other than that I may be able to get a Sunday afternoon drive accomplished.

I'm not hitting the 1000 mile mark per year on either of them - not even combined. I guess I need to do better.
1957 Raven Black E-code, manual (second owner)
1990 Super Coupe, auto. (original owner)
tnswt12

Post by tnswt12 »

Drive 'em! The more you do the more the car will reward you with improved gas mileage, better drivability, and fewer annoying drips.