Gas tank install

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

dmtinker

Gas tank install

Post by dmtinker » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:33 pm

First time poster...I have a 1965 Special Edition that I got for my wife and I to do as a project. It came without a gas tank so I bought one and a sending unit. However, no instructions. I do not understand how the gasket/bayonet ring go together when installing the sending unit. I've done a lot of searching. Also on the tank, there is a small tube which, I'm guessing is an over pressure relief? It's a very small diameter.... as well as a plug in one corner...I'm assuming that's for cleaning? Any help would be appreciated.
David

jtschug

Re: Gas tank install

Post by jtschug » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:14 pm

The gasket goes between the sender and the tank. There is a little groove on the tank and the gasket goes in there. probably easier to do before installing the tank.

Yes, I'm assuming the plug is to drain out bad gas if needed.

I know there should be a vent on top of the tank, but I haven't taken my tank out yet.

paulr

Post by paulr » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:55 pm

dmtinker wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:33 pm
First time poster...
David
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the project.
there is a small tube which, I'm guessing is an over pressure relief? It's a very small diameter....
Question for you: Is this tube made of brass and roughly 5 or so inches long? What I'm after is which gas tank you bought--I think I know. The tube is a vent, and you need to know that you need to extend that tube a couple of feet longer--curl it around the contours. Somewhere I have a photo that'll help if I can manage to turn it up in the archives.
Any help would be appreciated.
I've never come across someone with a car minus a gas tank. There is more you wouldn't know in that situation. The tank straps and anchors that are no doubt missing you can get from any of the Tbird vendors easily. More importantly, there would have been an original heavy oil cloth serving as a vibration barrier that covered the full top and side surfaces of the tank that contact the trunk body. That's something you're going to have to fabricate yourself as you don't want the friction of the metal tank against the body. Most of the time we just reuse that blanket when we change tanks out, but you have a different case.
You didn't mention anything about the fuel filler tube, etc. Probably ought to make sure you have a red shop manual for '65 and a couple of Osborn schematic manuals. They're all cheap and, I think, necessary in your case. Good luck.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson

dmtinker

Post by dmtinker » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:56 pm

Thank you for the help. When I posted last time I was exhausted so a lot of things that are obvious were lost on me.
I have the tank, straps, bolts etc. and figured out how to put in the sending unit which was more than obvious.

A few more less obvious questions. I am not sure how the unit should orient. I assume you put it in, align the tabs and it stays that way.
Another question is how to tell if I have a low fuel light. The wiring to the tank has all three holes but that does not mean they were used.

It's a '65 special edition if that helps.

paulr

Post by paulr » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:47 pm

In the center of your dash below the clock either there are 3 red old school idiot lights (one being low fuel) and a couple of knobs, or the area is clean—as in nothing. (Video shows a MY64; similar for 65).
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tCCfsM8lB6Q
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson

dmtinker

Post by dmtinker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:52 pm

Yes...I do have the low fuel light. I've also figured out the orientation. I'm waiting on the correct sending unit to be shipped.
Thank you for the great help.