Tonneau Covers

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

drdean

Re: Tonneau Covers

Post by drdean »

has anyone installed the cover just as a dust cover when parked so you do 't need to wrestle the soft top on and off? was thinking of using it as a sun and dust cover, so I wouldn't need to drill the doors for snaps
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Yes it’s the same cover for all three years. You don’t need to install the door top snaps for your purposes. I did not drill those holes either. Here’s one I installed on our 57. Because I was restoring the car I did it the original factory way with the rear edge permanently installed making it unremovable. The more popular way for aftermarket covers (and because you have a drop curtain) is to run snaps along the rear deck. In my opinion it looks sportier and allows the cover to be removed. Maybe Icon will post a picture of his done this way.
IMG_2575.jpeg
Last edited by MarkR on Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimntempe

Post by Jimntempe »

drdean wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:51 pm has anyone installed the cover just as a dust cover when parked so you do 't need to wrestle the soft top on and off? was thinking of using it as a sun and dust cover, so I wouldn't need to drill the doors for snaps
Not as elegant but also less expensive and no need to drill anything...
https://www.classictbird.com/Cockpit-Co ... tinfo/CPC/
drdean

Post by drdean »

thanks guys!
drdean

Post by drdean »

I like your installation, as it looks cleaner with minimal snaps - your car is a beauty
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

Jimntempe wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:29 pm
drdean wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:51 pm has anyone installed the cover just as a dust cover when parked so you do 't need to wrestle the soft top on and off? was thinking of using it as a sun and dust cover, so I wouldn't need to drill the doors for snaps
Not as elegant but also less expensive and no need to drill anything...
https://www.classictbird.com/Cockpit-Co ... tinfo/CPC/
I have never seen that before but maybe because I wasn't looking as I have a factory ordered tonneau. A nice solution for not wanting to install snaps.
VTCI # 13223
RegM 56 T-Bird

Post by RegM 56 T-Bird »

Has anyone had any experience with their tonneau cover in the rain? I was wondering if you have the tonneau cover zipped up with both sides covered, does rainwater get past the tonneau cover into the car?
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

It's best to stay out of the rain, even with either top up.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

agree with 55Blacktie Water will seek it's way inside regardless .....Ask me how I know this.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
RegM 56 T-Bird

Post by RegM 56 T-Bird »

I totally agree about staying out of the rain but in those situations where you find yourself away from home and no choice about parking outside, I was wondering if there would be any sense in snapping the tonneau cover in place even though the hardtop is on. That's why I was wondering if anyone had any experience with how much protection the tonneau cover provides.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

My answer to the question is regardless how tight the Tonneau is made the water will seep inside.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

Neither hardtop, soft top or tonneau will prevent water intrusion in a down pore but they all work in a drizzle. Just consider the tonneau as a dust/dew cover. When garaged after being caught in the rain, open it up including the trunk and let it breath.
VTCI # 13223