my thunderbird's gate release

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

64thunderbird64

my thunderbird's gate release

Post by 64thunderbird64 »

finally got my gate release!!! please share yours. I would love to see them!!!
Attachments
21105774_10155489865660519_750961480292861859_n.jpg
55Greg&Amy

Re: my thunderbird's gate release

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

I'd like to buy that 8 gallons of gas for $2.40 please.
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
SBurney

Post by SBurney »

Here's mine. Over a year earlier and gas was the exact same price.

If you're not familiar with SoCal, Bellflower is right next to Long Beach.

As a bonus, here's the gate release for the car with the serial number of mine. The factory screwed up, so my VIN # doesn't actually, officially exist. Notice the -172 gate release is for an 83Z car. Mine is an 87Z. The VIN on the door data plate matches the gate release.

Here's the VIN stamp on the car and the data plate.

Steve Burney
1965 Special Landau, originally purchased by my Grandmother. The only car she ever bought that
she thought was worth what she paid for it.
VTCI #12702
Thunderbird Registry #64708
David Langhorne

Post by David Langhorne »

That's interesting Steve. I see your car has a 19B build date - my SL has a 09B and according to the Tbird Registry is the oldest SL still on the road.
Has anyone on here got an older one I wonder?
Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK
abaucom

Post by abaucom »

My 1966 conv. has some interesting history. For some reason a Chicago dealership ordered the car but it was shipped directly to a Dallas dealership from the factory. It had AC, power windows, AM/FM with power antenna, deluxe hubcaps, extra cost red-band whitewall tires. Did not check the box for the fender skirt option. It was ordered with black vinyl / cloth interior which I think was rare for a conv. but I can see the reason for a conv. going hot Dallas. Previous owner did completely replace interior with all black vinyl. I can only assume the car was special ordered by the original owner in Dallas and checked the box for vinyl / cloth interior to keep the seats a little less hot when top was down. Believe the Dallas dealership installed the door speakers and Dallas owner had dealer place a separate order for the fender skirts which are factory originals, not aftermarket. At least I can either use the fender skirts or not, with correct SS wheel-well trim.

Perhaps strange but true this car and I were meant to find each other later in life. This conv. was made mid Feb. 1966, my birthday is early Feb., at age 15 (1966) I went with Dad car shopping as he thought he wanted a new Mustang. My pleading resulted Dad bought a new 1966 Town Landau, mid Feb. 1966, about the same time my current conv. was made. The Town Landau was the 3rd T-Bird Dad bought at my pleading, (1960, 1963, 1966). Dad gave me the 1963 on my birthday Feb. 1967, day I got my drivers license (my high school car), gave me the 1966 Bird mid 1969 (my 1st year at university). My last home was Dallas (original owner city) before I moved to Ottawa Ontario in 2003. I bought my 1966 conv. from a dealership in Charlotte NC where my older brother retired. Older brother, a Ford designer in the 1970s, knew my passion for Thunderbirds. I was not planning on buying a classic car but one day brother sent me a link to this conv., a rust free southern auto 95% restored, brother said you are not getting younger so go for it. I offered price, rejected. Months later dealership called me in Canada, am I still interested, yes, I offered a price, accepted.

Three years later, after much time, effort, and expense, this last photo is my 1966 conv. today. Perhaps only a few remaining factory 1966 yellow Bird convertibles remaining in North America. To my knowledge, this is the only remaining factory yellow Bird conv. in North America with its specific factory options, gate release build sheet. This does not add extra value, only special to me as I love driving this car.
T-Bird Registry #19119
1966 T-Bird convertible
2011 Camaro 2LT
mcgsxr

Post by mcgsxr »

Cool story about the yellow 66 convertible.

My father in law had a yellow 66 that he removed the white interior from, and installed an all black interior. Would have been in the 80's in Oakville, Ontario. He tells stories about the Hamilton Tiger Cats using his car in parades due to the color combo.

Good stuff!
Rehomed - 1969 Red Landau Tudor survivor, 34K original miles. TBird Registry #37047
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

I remember the car, that was a long time ago. I vividly remember your father in law selling me some parts for my 64 Landau. He was the local go to for parts other than Ray Nadeau (Special Interest Cars).
Remember being in his factory and tripping over fork truck FORKS, as you hunted for parts.
What ever happened to the car?
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
mcgsxr

Post by mcgsxr »

Elmer sold off the last 2 T Birds (both 66 'verts) in the late 80's. Before I came into his daughters life in the late 90's.

I have seen pics of the yellow and red convertibles, but he has not owned a T Bird since then. I never heard who he sold them off to. Local I imagine, but unclear to me.
Rehomed - 1969 Red Landau Tudor survivor, 34K original miles. TBird Registry #37047