64 Front Disc Conversion

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

bjed64

64 Front Disc Conversion

Post by bjed64 »

Has anyone converted there front drum brakes to disc? Aftermarket kit? Home made? I was thinking of having a fab shop plasma cut out the caliper mounting bracket and maybe using 69-70 mustang calipers , master cylinder and discs. Any thoughts or suggestions.
Thanks
Klaidlaw

Re: 64 Front Disc Conversion

Post by Klaidlaw »

There are aftermarket kits out there, just do a search. You will also have to change your master cylinder from drum/drum to Disc/drum. Also proportioning valve and residual valves.
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

My 64 has a set up that was installed before I
Purchased the car. Paperwork from "drop em
And stop em". The car is running 64 15" drum
Wheels. Have not quite figured out what they
Are using below and under the hood. But it does
Well on the hiway. I have a 65 set up but never
Used it on my 63. Don't want to loose my 14"
Rims and caps. But I converted a 65 mustang
With a kit on e bay. It was Cost effective and
Looked as good a the one under my 64 bird.
Also he did not want to give up the 14" ralley
Wheels and this fit. I was told to get an early
70's maverick master cylinder as maverick used
Both set ups. There seems to be more choices
Than a few years ago. Just takes a little digging.
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

bjed64 wrote:Has anyone converted there front drum brakes to disc? Aftermarket kit? Home made? I was thinking of having a fab shop plasma cut out the caliper mounting bracket and maybe using 69-70 mustang calipers , master cylinder and discs. Any thoughts or suggestions.
Thanks
You'll find a ton of information on this in the 64-66 modified section below. There are aftermarket kits, each with their own pluses and minuses.

Also, I gather they're getting harder to find, but some '66 Thunderbirds came with disc brakes, which can be retro-fitted to our 64's pretty easily. (Probably a better choice than trying to make the brakes from a [somewhat less heavy] Mustang work.)

~Steve
60fore

Post by 60fore »

sseebart wrote:
bjed64 wrote:Has anyone converted there front drum brakes to disc? Aftermarket kit? Home made? I was thinking of having a fab shop plasma cut out the caliper mounting bracket and maybe using 69-70 mustang calipers , master cylinder and discs. Any thoughts or suggestions.
Thanks
You'll find a ton of information on this in the 64-66 modified section below. There are aftermarket kits, each with their own pluses and minuses.

Also, I gather they're getting harder to find, but some '66 Thunderbirds came with disc brakes, which can be retro-fitted to our 64's pretty easily. (Probably a better choice than trying to make the brakes from a [somewhat less heavy] Mustang work.)

~Steve

All '65-later T-Birds had front disc brakes.

The problem with using these calipers is that they're huge and it's hard to find wheels that clear them. If you want to retain stock appearance you'll have to find '65 or later wheels; the '64 wheels won't fit.
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

There are several issues when converting to 65+ Discs.
Some points..
Wheels must be obtained from a later model. They will accept 64 hub caps.
It's expensive. with all the parts you need the cost can get steep; easily as much as an aftermarket kit or more. Get junk yard calipers and use them as cores. RockAuto has very nice rebuilts along with bearings, ball joints, bushings. and most of the other things you will need. Buy new rotors and replace any wheel studs that are questionable - you'll have them out to install the new rotors.
If you want to keep your T-bird all T-bird it's the way to go. The next guy will have no problem figuring out whats there. Not true of some kits that use parts from a variety of sources (even GM).
The final problem is brake pads. There are no high quality pads available. (there is a mistake in the listings that suggest Bendix makes pads - they don't and this causes many other manufacturers to think they have pads when they really don't) The ones you can buy are under $20 and are a lousy compound.
You will need to figure out a dual MC setup - a 69 Mustang Disc/Drum unit works and bolts right up. (Your current booster will work).
There's probably more that I have forgotten (or blocked from my memory).
I was ready to do a write-up when PhotoBucket lost all of my pics.
I suspect some aftermarket kits would provide better braking but the 65+ system keeps you car at least somewhat original.

Cheers,
Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
JEDI BASS

Post by JEDI BASS »

I'm driving a few hours, later today, to pick up a 65 bird parts car, just to do the disc brake swap on my new-to-me 64. I've already ordered the disc/drum master cylinder MC36251. And, I had just received the 65 shock bracket and export brace parts that allow additional room for the dual chamber MC, when I found the parts car. So, I will have some extra pieces laying around. This will be a fun project and much needed upgrade!
paulr

Post by paulr »

JEDI BASS wrote:I'm driving a few hours, later today, to pick up a 65 bird parts car, just to do the disc brake swap on my new-to-me 64. I've already ordered the disc/drum master cylinder MC36251. And, I had just received the 65 shock bracket and export brace parts...
Tell us how this works. At 9.1" length I'm curious which booster you're going to use back there if not stock. Adding room with the curved brace is a natural way to go, but still a tight corner. Welcome to the forum; congrats on the '64, the best of the three years IMHO.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
JEDI BASS

Post by JEDI BASS »

Thanks! I do prefer the look of the 64 over the 65, and don't really care for the 66 front and reared changes. Speaking of big boosters and clearance issues, has anyone used this one from autozone http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-trac ... 0_180846_0 ? It appears skinnier than the stock flairbird boosters.
JEDI BASS

Post by JEDI BASS »

Also, RedBird64 has already performed the conversion I plan to do, using the stock 64 booster and the MC I mentioned above. And, it fits fine with the 65 export brace and bracket. My parts car has some super rusty calipers. I'll have to look them over real good. But, they'll probably just be used as cores.
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

JEDI BASS wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:04 am Also, RedBird64 has already performed the conversion I plan to do, using the stock 64 booster and the MC I mentioned above. And, it fits fine with the 65 export brace and bracket. My parts car has some super rusty calipers. I'll have to look them over real good. But, they'll probably just be used as cores.
It fits quite nicely, even looks like it could be stock IMO. While the MC is longer, it's rather skinny and doesn't really come close to anything.
The only part that's tight is the Wilwood prop valve, which is down and to the right (dr side) of the MC You can just see it under the 90 degree brass fitting in the pic below) . Had I the chance to do it over, I would have gotten a replacement brake line for a 65 to feed the rear brakes and used the stock valve. Heck, I may still do it someday.

Scott

For anyone considering this option, it is the exact same size MC that was used on 67 T-Birds with the same brakes. The only reason I did not use the 67 T-Bird MC is because the lines exit on the oposite side of the MC and would interfere with the valve cover.
Otherwise, the MC is identical to what Ford spec'd.
Note, My booster and brake pedal parts and geometry are all stock.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
JEDI BASS

Post by JEDI BASS »

Thanks RedBird64. Your pics and information are very helpful!
Restomod

Post by Restomod »

Tom's Classic (ebay store) has a conversion kit based on an S-10 pickup. That's what I used. Tom's "stock" service parts (caliper, pads, rotor) are readily available at any local parts store. Performance is pretty good, I've had to stop the car quickly several times since the conversion) although I seem to get a lot of brake dust, so I suspect that the rotors are a bit small and the pads are wearing quickly. I may be able to use high performance aftermarket rotors and multi-cylinder calipers when I do rebuild, however I haven't done all the research on that yet.