electrical system/battery 1957 T-Bird

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

bammer

electrical system/battery 1957 T-Bird

Post by bammer »

I just purchased a 57 T-bird from a San Diego seller. The car has been in the garage since 1988, all tires flat, odometer said 13,600. Car looked to be in good shape overall. There was no battery in the car. It was an estate sale, the nephew of the owner was the executor and had little information about the vehicle. I put new tires on the car and had it shipped to Maryland, it is now in my shop. I'm getting ready to drain and replace all the fluids. My question(s) are: 1. Does this year have a 6 or 12 volt system? 2. What specs should I look for with the battery. 3. What oil/filter do you guys recommend? 4. Are there any additives required to add to a tank of gas?.....greatly appreciate any advice/help
55Greg&Amy

Re: electrical system/battery 1957 T-Bird

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

All 57's were 12 volt size 32 battery. For an original style maintenance free battery http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/batte ... 32NPP.html . Every 55-57 Thunderbird had the battery installed with the positive terminal to the front of the vehicle. Oil is all over and everyone has their opinion, I run Rotella 15W-40 because of its high zinc content for the flat tappet valves. For fuel, make sure the tank and hard lines are clean and then replace the flex line at the fuel pump and replace the filter just above the fuel pump. I only run ethanol free gas in mine but others will run the e-10. I also run a lead additive on every other tank of gas and twice a season I put some marvels mystery oil in the gas. You can find ethanol free gas in your state using this link. http://www.pure-gas.org/
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

If I remember correctly, 57's also used a 29NF battery besides the 32. For your average "D" car, it had a 29NF> This battery is available from a number of sources, including Ford.

I also use the 15-40 Rotella because of the ZDDP. The filters I recommend are the Ford FL-1 and the NAPA Gold equivalent
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
bammer

Post by bammer »

Thanks guys for the advice, I'll keep you posted on my progress and if I get her running.
bobioknight

Post by bobioknight »

Boy are you in for a treat! Enjoy.
1957 Ford Thunderbird | Black | 312 Y Block | 28,000 miles
2007 Jaguar XK | Green | 18,000 miles
2002 Ford F-350 SD Lariat | Green/Tan | 7.3 Turbo Diesel | 190,000 miles
CSavaglio

Post by CSavaglio »

Careful about oil. Some of the Rotellas had the ZDDP removed about 10 years ago.....look for the starburst API cert marking...these oils had the ZDDP highly reduced or removed...look for ones without. Take a look at high mileage oils (Mobil 1 high mileage has a high zinc content...I used to run a '91 ZR-1....quad overhead cam flat tappet.....the zinc content was extremely important on them and it was one of the few oils accepted by the engine builders of those motors). There's specialty oils or you can add cam break in additive. In my opinion (and several engine builders), it's typically with freshly rebuilt engines that it's a bigger issue during break in. There are charts out there that show ZDDP content, but many are old and oil formulas change all the time.

Oh, '56 and up were 12V neg ground on Fords. Any modern 12V batter is good.....I use the Antique Auto Battery in mine (6V)...they're very, very good batteries. I have a number of friends running them and we've all had great experience. Their customer service is awesome, but they are expensive. The look much better than a modern battery...they look pretty close to the original battery. It always looks terrible to me when you see a beautiful vintage car with some bright green battery in there!

For oil filters, I use a standard Ford/Motorcraft FL-1 or FL-1A...I think the FL-1A is just a bit taller, but clears everything fine and has a bit more capacity.

If you can run ethanol free gas, you'll solve so many of the issues modern cars have these days....but it's not available everywhere.
bammer

Post by bammer »

good info, thanks
Oldmics

Post by Oldmics »

Howdy

and Welcome to T Bird ownership.

A Y Block engine equipted vehicle such as your new T Bird acquisition has a few quirks since it has been sitting for such a long time.

Due to dissimiliar metalurgy between the valves and seats these engines quite frequently have a sticking valve.

A stuck valve might lead to a bent push rod if you try to start it up . I highly suggest removing the rocker covers and pushing down on each valve to make sure it is free before attempting to turn the engine over using the starter.

I am in Md . Own a coupla T Birds so I think I know them pretty well :roll:

Send me a Private message thru the Forums mailbox if you need some personal help.

Oldmics
bammer

Post by bammer »

Thanks for that Oldmics, I just sent you a PM
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

A note about 10 % ethanol - I have been running this in my Tbird (and my other old cars) for 20 plus years without any fuel related problems.

As far as the Rotella and ZDDP, the 15-40 had some reduction about 5 years ago but the new levels are far and above what is needed for the average YBlock (now around 1100 PPM). ZDDP is a mixture of zinc and phosphorus. In fact, name brand 10-40 and 20-50 oils also have enough ZDDP.

Back in the day (1960's) ZDDP levels were only about 750 PPM.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
bammer

Post by bammer »

Been reading some older posts about fuel pump issues if the car has not been run in a long time, over 25 years in my case. Looks like you guys recommend replacing the fuel pump. My question is are they worth trying to rebuild or just order a new one and are there any tips to getting the pump on and off the block. Is that pretty straight forward?....thanks, Byron
CSPIDY

Post by CSPIDY »

replacing the fuel pump is a very good idea, I lost mine last month, ordered on from CASCO (classic auto supply Company) in Ohio for about $100. they specialize in 55-57 Tbirds.

looks like you picked up a very nice bird there.
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
bammer

Post by bammer »

Got my '57 running yesterday after her 25+ year hiatus, here is a link to a short Utube clip. Thanks to everyone for all the awesome tips and help!

https://youtu.be/kRfszqsqUKM