automatic transmission filter tubes

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Priceg

automatic transmission filter tubes

Post by Priceg »

I am working on a 1955 Tbird with an automatic transmission. While servicing the transmission and replacing the filter, I found the filter has 2 holes, one in the front and one in the back and 2 O rings in the kit. There was a tube coming down in the front that the filter goes into. In the back, the smaller hole has no tube coming down. My question is should there also tube in the back to go into the filter?

I am looking at an illustration, #48 from Hill's Thunderbird Center. It shows 2 tubes, one in the front and one in the back. The part# on one tube is 7A204, and there is a second tube but it isn't showing a part#. Which one of these tubes would be the pickup tube for the fluid and which would be the return? The reason I am asking is: If this car goes down a 1/2 quart of fluid, there is a long delay before it will go into gear. I am a retired Chrysler Technician and I just want to make sure I am not missing something. Everything I am finding on this car has been jerry-rigged, so anything is possible. I just wondering if there is something missing. I have the service and electrical manual but don't have the automatic transmission manual.

thanks for any help.
Gary
redstangbob

Re: automatic transmission filter tubes

Post by redstangbob »

Gary, I'm not very familiar with that trans, but in other transmissions from the era there are 2 pumps, one front one rear. The missing tube sounds like the supply to the rear pump. JMO Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

There is a service/shop manual for the Fordomatics. I suggest you get one of those. CASCO sells it, I assume the other part suppliers also have it
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
Lester

Post by Lester »

Priceg,
Yes there are supposed to be two tubes, tried to send/post a picture of trans out of manual but either Version wouldn't cooperate or I don't know what. Tried from my wife's phone too but even that failed. Anyway as stated sounds like the rear pump tube is missing. Try Charlie Trans for a new one.

Good luck,
Lester
Lester

Post by Lester »

OK, got trouble fixed...:

Good Luck,
Lester
Priceg

Post by Priceg »

Thanks for the replies and picture. Pictures are always helpful. Is there anyone on the forum who is real experienced with this particular automatic transmission the can tell me if it's possible that when someone serviced the transmission the tube could have fallen out or would the transmission have to have been disassembled for the tube to come out? It's the rear tube that is missing. Has anyone ever had this problem and do you know if there are any used ones out there?

Thanks again, Gary