64 Tbird big project- 4.6L mod motor, 5spd manual, IRS

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Hitman

Re: 64 Tbird big project- 4.6L mod motor, 5spd manual, IRS

Post by Hitman »

Thanks, That really means a lot to me! Of course I didn't show the other side where i was doing crunches to hold myself up to weld!! I have a decent tig welder in my garage along w/ the mig I used for these welds, I may look into the bike frames, I can stick stuff together, but overall still need work on the aesthetics of things.

Tonight I drilled the holes for the IRS bolts, I need to weld some extra gussets for the lower mounts and spring perches then I'll be done (with the rear) after Mother's Day weekend I'm going to pull a crown Vic front k member and plasma cut the old stuff out.
Last edited by Hitman on Fri May 20, 2016 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

It's been a couple months but I finally get to see some progress! I'll have to take it back down to finish welding and to gusset the pads, but I was too anxious to see the IRS in the car without a jack holding it up.

lowxr

Post by lowxr »

wow very cool. good to see someone think outside the box. ill be watching this space!
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Nice work Hitman. I think your bird is gonna need some serious bead blasting looking at some of those panels.
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

I'll worry about the sheetmetal when I get to it! I think the pictures really excadurate the Ed from the rust...it's in bad shape, but I don't think it'll be worse than any of our other cars we've rebuilt

I picked this IFS up from an 80k mile old town car, it should fit very well. The old suspension is out, so now I just need to cut the old crossmember out

Hitman

Post by Hitman »

Got the original crossmember plasma cut out, I need to cut some of the pinch weld out for the rear mounts of the lower A arms to get the assembly high enough up and back. I also need to weld something in to make a flat area on the subframe to mount this thing but I'm very happy how it fits, I can also reuse the factory motor mounts.
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

Love the way this fits in. Got any close up shots of the alignment with the sub-frame?

Have to say though, the rust/rot underneath the cowl is a little disturbing.

~Steve
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

The rust on the cowl is nothing! I'm giving myself ~1-2 months to do rough bodywork and floor pans.

The aluminum k member is approx 1.25" wider than the subframe, so I'm going to put some 1/2" plate and/or shims to center the assembly. Here are a couple up close pics, let me know if I can get any others for you (or anyone else).

The lower a arm mounts end right at the firewall, I have to recess them 2", I trying to get a 9" ride height (measured at the bottom of the rocker panels).

The stock motor mounts should put the mod motor 4" away from he firewall with plenty of room up front.

I need to weld and gusset a 7x8x1/2" thick plate, I'll drill and tap the mounting bolt holes

My plan is to overlap a c-channel to make up this gap. (Cutting a 4x4x14" long square tube in half).
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

I moved back over to the rear end to try and get the spring mounts tacked in. I still need to fish-mouth the tubing and fit it better, but at least you can see the concept...I'm optimistically hoping by the end of the week everything will be welded in for the rear, then I need to find springs and hope they're close to the right length.

lowxr

Post by lowxr »

looking good man! keep those updates coming
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

Thanks lowxr!
Today I replaced one frame rail and am hoping to get the second one done in the next couple days...I had a cutoff disk get away from me on the last part (13 stitches but no permanent damage) so I may put the cutoff disk down for a bit and pick the plasma up to cut the wheel wells out to mini-tub this week while I'm waiting for metal for the front suspension (I'm looking to run at least a 275 wide tire all around).

Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

Gotta work safe! I retired from a machine shop 13 years ago and will always have a scar from a cut off wheel on my arm! The embedded grit and dirt makes them nasty!!
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

Indeed! I don't think it would have saved me, but it couldn't have hurt: I bought a leather sleeve/cape for welding and grinding tonight. I'm young (26) but have been working on cars alongside my dad for as long as I can remember, started mig welding ~13yrs ago. Many projects, many hours, and I've never had this serious of an injury- it happens that quick.

I got to hear the doctor scrape and scrub that grit out of my arm flap for a good 20mins before they stitched me up btw!
Tbird64

Post by Tbird64 »

Just FYI. You do not need to mini tub to fit a 275

Depending on rim back space. The rims I got will fit a 275 on all 4 corners with nothing more than a 1" spacer back and front. There are tons of room in the wheel wells. Im actually debating going up to a 315 on the back
Which might be doable with nothing more than rolled fenders. But repositioning of the factory bump stops will gain tones of room without moding wheels wells

In which case you could use a smaller space spacer and still run the wheel flairs.
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

Tbird64 wrote:Just FYI. You do not need to mini tub to fit a 275

Depending on rim back space. The rims I got will fit a 275 on all 4 corners with nothing more than a 1" spacer back and front. There are tons of room in the wheel wells. Im actually debating going up to a 315 on the back
Which might be doable with nothing more than rolled fenders. But repositioning of the factory bump stops will gain tones of room without moding wheels wells

In which case you could use a smaller space spacer and still run the wheel flairs.
Thanks for letting me know! It just looked like the wheel wells closed up fast as you went higher up them, I guess I'll reevaluate before cutting everything!