Sequential Signals not on

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Spanky

Sequential Signals not on

Post by Spanky »

I recently replaced the brake light relay, because the brake lights were stuck on often. Now the turn signals don't come on. I have traced power on turn flasher/motor to relay and get blinking test light. Car lights do not blink. Any ideas, maybe I need whole new solid state set up?
BrianC

Re: Sequential Signals not on

Post by BrianC »

Let's step back a second before you start tossing $$ at this.....If you put the old relay back in, do the signals work, or did they work before the relay change??
'66 Ragtop, 77k miles. Antique bronze. Brought from original owner. Fully documented.
Spanky

Post by Spanky »

The signals were working well even with the stuck brake lights. Somewhere during the brake light relay fix the turn signals stop working. The fender indicator comes on when turn selected but no light flashing. By the way, hazard flashers work along with brake lights. Strange.
David Langhorne

Post by David Langhorne »

It would seem to me that your turn signal relay (next to brake light relay) is not working or maybe you disturbed the plug when you replaced the brake light relay. I would check all the connections again. There is a good trouble shooting article in the tech section on this forum.
Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK
Tbird100636

Post by Tbird100636 »

You may have left off a ground wire when replacing the relay. There is at least one or two ground eyelets that attach to the relay bolts. Don't attach the grounds or leave them loose and the sequential system and/or the brake lights won't work.
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- 390 FE 4V- Chantilly Beige- NEVER done, but beautiful as is.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- 390 FE 4V- Red (Originally Wimbledon White)- Hood installed and repaint coming... well... not sure when...
Spanky

Post by Spanky »

I have run a recheck of the wiring and even removed the turn relay, opened it and sanded points with no results. I know the parts have been replaced somewhere in the past due to the "no FoMoCo" insignia. I think the need for the new electronic set up is looming. I still have all lights but the turn signals.