14 inch spinner wheel disc

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Tweety

14 inch spinner wheel disc

Post by Tweety »

Back in the 70's I put a set of Ford Mustang 14 inch spinner wheel disc on my 63 Thunderbird. There was no clearance problems with the fender skirts. I have purchased another 63 Thunderbird (old memories) and an almost new set of 63-64 Ford Galaxy XL 14 inch spinner wheel disc. The problem is the fender skirts will not fit without rubbing on the spinners on either side. The car was purchased form California and by all inspections retain its original panels. Does anyone know if the depth of the Mustang spinners and Galaxy spinners are different. To date I have been unable to research my concerns regarding the spinner wheel disc.

Regards

Tweety

Ontario, Canada
Alan H. Tast

Re: 14 inch spinner wheel disc

Post by Alan H. Tast »

First off, why not use the '63 deluxe wheel covers, which are the '63 standard wheel covers with the same style spinner in the center that was used on the '63 Galaxie 500/XL covers and the '63-'64 simulated wire wheel covers? I'm very familiar with the 500/XL covers as I owned '63 Galaxies/500XLs for over 15 years. The Galaxie covers stick out further than the T-bird ones because of the profile of the cover - while the T-bird spinner covers have the spinner recessed into the cover, the Galaxie (and Mustang) covers push outboard of the cover beyond the spindle hub, so naturally they'll hit the skirts! The same spinner casting was used for the Kelsey-Hayes wheels, '63 T-bird deluxe wheel covers, '63 Galaxie 500/XL full wheel covers, and '62-'64 simulated wire covers (including the 13" ones used on Falcons/Fairlanes). The Mustang's spinner for '64-'65 was different from the Galaxie-style one with smaller blades, but as for overall height I don't know what the measurement is.

In order for spinners to fit behind skirts on cars with wire wheels (and why in God's name would someone cover up wire wheels with skirts baffles me! :x ), the aftermarket supplies took the original spinner casting and shortened it at least 1/4" (maybe more-need to compare and measure) at its mounting face to the cover.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

Alan H. Tast wrote: (why in God's name would someone cover up wire wheels with skirts baffles me! :x )
Alan, with all due respect (and I really mean that), I think the simple answer is because our tastes are different. It seems to me that some cars are just suited better to skirts, regardless of the type wheel, with some exceptions. I belong to a chapter of CTCI (55-57 Birds) because a chapter of VTCI isn't near me. Some members don't have skirts on their cars. I personally don't care for the look in these and other early TBirds. on the other hand, I really like the look of John's (Novanutcase) 61 with mag wheels and no skirts. My 61 came to me with rusty wire wheels and I chose to replace them with Magnum 500's not because of the look (I really liked the look of the wire wheels, with skirts) but because of a friend's input regarding cleaning them and his issues with tire inflation. And, there was the expense. I can't say that my Magnum 500's with skirts looks any better than the wire wheels with skirts but I like the look and even if I had chosen to keep wire wheels on the car the skirts would have remained. I just like the bullet birds with skirts, usually. My 2 cents. FWIW, here's how my 61 looked with skirts and wire wheels a few years before it came to me.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

I for one like to have the option of driving my car with the skirts and on some days with out. I know some members like to have the skirts on their cars for their own preference.

1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Thanks for your comments bbouge. To each their own. Personally I prefer the skirts on my Tuscon Yellow coupe. Your Magnums look great.

Regards

Tweety (bird)
gyoungwolf

Post by gyoungwolf »

I don't want to debate the skirts/no skirts issue as I like the looks of my '62 both ways. I have considered driving it to cruise-ins and putting the skirts on once I arrive, but would rather have the option to change looks between shows. I have researched a bit and know that the skirts will work with aftermarket wheels, but I have the originals. My question is - can aftermarket centers be used on the original wheels so that the car can be driven over bumps and around curves with the skirts attached???
Thanks berry much,
Grant
"The Carbmeister"
1962 Light Blue Convertible
1972 Caddy Hearse (for sale)
2005 Jag XK8 Convertible
2006 Silverado RST Intimidator SS
stove

Post by stove »

gyoungwolf wrote:I don't want to debate the skirts/no skirts issue as I like the looks of my '62 both ways. I have considered driving it to cruise-ins and putting the skirts on once I arrive, but would rather have the option to change looks between shows. I have researched a bit and know that the skirts will work with aftermarket wheels, but I have the originals. My question is - can aftermarket centers be used on the original wheels so that the car can be driven over bumps and around curves with the skirts attached???
Thanks berry much,
Grant
I too, would like to know, as I am in the same "boat"...
1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

I had original KH wheels and 2 different brands of aftermarket sets. All three centers were different - either in diameter or distance of the spinner out from the pan. At best it would by a try one on and see if it fits type of thing. I'm thinking the original KH has the biggest hole in the hub and the spinner the farthest out.

PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
Ozzy351

Post by Ozzy351 »

Bill (bbogue), if you ever want to sell that '61, let me know, she's just beautiful! :love4:
"The sour memory of a dud purchase is remembered long after the sweet taste of a cheap deal has disappeared"
1961 T-bird H/T Silver-Gray Metallic/Raven Black roof.
1971 Ford Falcon 351 XYGT-Nugget Gold.
VTCI #11702
Adelaide, South Australia.
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

Thanks Ozzy, but I'm not near ready to sell her yet. I've spent the last 2 years bringing this car back to something driveable after being mostly cosmetically restored about 15 years ago but then ignored for several years. I want several years of driving before I'll be ready to sell. I am proud of the way she looks but I'm sure some of the rest-o-mod things that I've done would make some folks cringe. To each his own. G'day.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
gyoungwolf

Re: 14 inch spinner wheel disc = solved!

Post by gyoungwolf »

After seeing the picture of the various height inserts, I measured all 4 of mine, and lo and behold, 2 are about 1/2 closer to the wheel when mounted! Put those two on the back - problem solved! Thanks to all.
Grant
"The Carbmeister"
1962 Light Blue Convertible
1972 Caddy Hearse (for sale)
2005 Jag XK8 Convertible
2006 Silverado RST Intimidator SS
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

Wish all solutions were that easy! :cool:
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink