Pertronix ignition system

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Matthias

Pertronix ignition system

Post by Matthias »

I am installing a pertronix ignitor in my 65 and I'm having trouble finding where the resistor is located. I am not very knowledgeable about wiring other than the basics so please forgive me. And if there is a way to bypass the resistor that would be great.
David Langhorne

Re: Pertronix ignition system

Post by David Langhorne »

The best place to connect the wire is at the upper terminal of the voltage regulator which is 12v when the ignition is on. It's green/red
Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Matthias, welcome to the forum, post some pics of your car when you can. There's a 'how to' section below with helpful articles on pictures. The resistor on many Ford cars is a long pink wire that's actually in the harness under the dash, it can be changed without too many problems. You didn't mention which Pertronix you bought, there are 3 variations. Also does your car have the optional transistorized ignition? You can't miss it mounted behind the battery. so good luck with you project, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

I have bought the pertronix one system- out of a MACs catalogue. And I didn't think I had transistorized ignition, is the starter relay the transistor?
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

You can't miss the trans-ignition
There are guys here that run the Pertronix from the original wiring without issue, I ran a new wire for mine. The coil you use does matter, the original style depends on a resistor wire for lower voltage and will overheat if run on 12 volts. Pertronix has a good website, but ask here if you get confused. good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

Thanks! You've been a big help!
franklin

Post by franklin »

I spoke with Pertronix and they sent me some diagrams of bypassing the resistor wire with a small relay. Mine is a 66. I will be out of town until Sunday afternoon, but can email you the diagrams IF they would be the same as 65? Frank. flilawsa@msn.com
1966 town hardtop 390 z code
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

franklin wrote:I spoke with Pertronix and they sent me some diagrams of bypassing the resistor wire with a small relay. Mine is a 66. I will be out of town until Sunday afternoon, but can email you the diagrams IF they would be the same as 65? Frank. flilawsa@msn.com
that would be great! anything helps, i actually went and bought the flamethrower coil and wired it correctly without the resistor wire and it runs great, how ever now i noticed a large amount of corrosion on the terminals of the starter relay, i will post pics as soon as i can.
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

Matthias

Post by Matthias »