Is it worth it?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1970-79 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
noeplace

Is it worth it?

Post by noeplace »

I have a 73 Tbird that has been stored in a barn on a dirt floor for 20yrs. My question to the experts is would it be sensible to try and restore this car after all this time? What could I expect expense to be at the worst? Any info appreciated. New guy on the block... :?:
vince

Worth it?

Post by vince »

I don't think your asking this question but if you are do NOT go into a restoration planning on a positive economic outcome. If it happens, great! All of us do this for the enjoyment and a few may get the sometimes positive cash flow.

What you will spend depends on the car's condition now and where you are headed. Some guesses. If it doesn't need body work other than paint you are going to spend somewhere around $2,000 to $5,000 depending. If the car was occasionally started the motor might be serviceable for a while. An engine rebuild will be another $1,500-3,000 when its needed. The transmission may also need a rebuild.

How's the interior? and so on. Plan on emptying all the different fluids. Have the suspension checked. The brakes should be serviced.

You planning to make the car look very nice to you and others or are you also going for a "points" car. The latter is more expensive, how much depends on how much of the original car is still there.

Good news is you are in KY where the winters were not so bad while it was driven and it has not been exposed to any weather for 20 years.

You could spend from $5,000 to $20,000+ depending. I would suggest you get the car running for as little as possible and get it as clean as possible and drive it a bit. See if you like it and visualize it in better shape and see what YOU think thats worth. Folks here will always be willing to help.

Have Fun, Vince[/u]
'66 Convertible, 428, in progress
noeplace

Thanks Vince...

Post by noeplace »

Thanks for the information Vince. I guess I'll have to tow it out and get it onto a rack and give her a going over. I just want to get it running and put it back on the road. I was going to buy a corvette but my wife suggested I get the Tbird running for a project and that sounds like a good idea to me. :idea: Plus with your advice, it will probably be cheaper to get the Tbird running than buy a used vette and risk not knowing what I'm getting into. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted. :smile: