Battery or Alternator?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Sierra John

Battery or Alternator?

Post by Sierra John »

Is this an indication of a bad battery or alternator, or something else: When I'm idling at a stop light, my turn signals stop working. As soon as I give it some gas, they start working ('66 with 390). Starts up fast, but it does sit a lot. Any ideas?
1966 Town Hardtop
BrianC

Re: Battery or Alternator?

Post by BrianC »

The sequential turn signal system on these cars need a certain amount of current running thru them to function correctly. I would check the voltage on slow idle (500-600 rpm) from your battery and make sure it is 14.5V...If it's lower than 14V you may have a bad regulator or battery as a starting point.
'66 Ragtop, 77k miles. Antique bronze. Brought from original owner. Fully documented.
Tbird100636

Post by Tbird100636 »

Do the turn signals actually stop working or does just the clicker stop working? The turn indicator relay under the dash has been known to stop clicking when sitting at a stop, the signals are still working but the clicker stops clicking and the fender indicators stay on solid. Definitely make sure the charging system is working first. If it's ok there is a how-to on here opening up the indicator relay and bending the contact arm so it works better.
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- 390 FE 4V- Chantilly Beige- NEVER done, but beautiful as is.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- 390 FE 4V- Red (Originally Wimbledon White)- Hood installed and repaint coming... well... not sure when...
Sierra John

Post by Sierra John »

Thanks for the advice. The battery seems to be all right. I tried adjusting the turn indicator relay under the dash, and that seems to be the solution. Still needs a little fine tuning, though.

Appreciate the help.
1966 Town Hardtop
scumdog

Post by scumdog »

My '66 does something similar - with the turn-signals going when the car is at idle the indicator light (on the fender) 'pulses' instead of blinking,, driving along with a fre revs on they blink OK.

It will also do it if I'm doing 30mph and then I touch the brake pedal, it's almost seems like the voltage drop with the load the brake light create causes the indicators to 'pulse'.
Kiwi Thunderbirder
'66 Town Landau
'55 F100
'37 Ford coupe
'64 Anglia
'05 Ultraglide Classic
David Langhorne

Post by David Langhorne »

I had this problem for years along with poor starting although battery was charging at 14v or so. I eventually narrowed it down to the battery to body earth wire with an ohm meter - not a poor connection but the wire itself maybe at the crimped end. I think you have an earth problem which could be almost anywhere.
The fender lights themselves are just grounded to the fender by the fixing bolts which could possibly corrode or the rear lights also may have poor grounds.
Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK
mnpetri

Post by mnpetri »

Good info - thanks.
I've got the same problem... will check voltage at battery first.
Mark
VTCI # 11024
65 Special Landau #1485
66 Sunbeam Tiger