trunk lid compatibility - hardtop vs convertible

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1958-60 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
garyscc

trunk lid compatibility - hardtop vs convertible

Post by garyscc »

hi, I'm considering purchasing a somewhat rusty '59 convertible - it has a rusty hood and trunk lid. I was wondering if the trunklid on both cars are similar enough that I could potentially use a hardtop trunklid on a convertible restoration?
RAVEN

Re: trunk lid compatibility - hardtop vs convertible

Post by RAVEN »

Trust me, NOPE. Know a guy who tried it and hardtop panel buckled in middle. Convert lid has additional internal gusetting, do to cantilever hinge action, and lift cylinders.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
garyscc

Post by garyscc »

ok, sounds cool. thanks for letting me know. i did buy the 59 convertible - it should arrive on friday.
garyscc

Post by garyscc »

the convertible was delivered -and it i think its a great candidate for restoration. The trunk lid has separated from its self - its badly damaged due to rust - but the hardware that attaches looks to be good. I may have no choice but to pursue the possibility of getting a hardtop trunklid. Perhaps I can have a welder add reinforcement so that it won't buckle? i don't see any other options available.
tbird430

Post by tbird430 »

I always though they were the same. The holes are there for both hinge set-ups??

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. Unique in All the World.....