66 Tbird convertible wiper motor issue

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

paulsbird

66 Tbird convertible wiper motor issue

Post by paulsbird »

Well I installed my new power steering pump
And all is well there however I still have the issues
With my windshield wipers they won't turn off
Or return just wipe straight off screen.
I have taken cowl off and cable adjustment looks fine
Do I need to purchase a rebuilt hydraulic wiper motor ?
Is this a common issue can I repair the one I have?
any of you guys had this problem ?
Would really appreciate some help
Thanks in hope
Joe Johnston

Re: 66 Tbird convertible wiper motor issue

Post by Joe Johnston »

cable adjustment looks fine
My bet is it only needs a little adjustment and all will be well!

(My system has a buzzing sound if it sets for a week or two but not if driven frequently. Guess its one of the quirks of the old girl and she likes to get out on the town once in a while!)
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Hi paulsbird

Have you got all of the air out of the system?
paulsbird

Post by paulsbird »

Hi
And thanks for the replies thing is wipers worked fine before I changed The PS pump.
I think I now have all air bled from the system as steering now functions as it should.
How do you adjusted the motor is it just by ways of the cable adjustment?
Could there be Some crud in the hydraulic motor perhaps ?
I had the front of the car jacked off the ground turning steering lock to lock with wipers on
( well they are always on as cannot turn off) have I bled correctly or have I missed something?
Any suggestions or guidance appreciated.
Thanks
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

I would hazard a guess that a bit of dirt found it's way into the wiper motor, and has fouled the control valve. I actually had nearly the same problem with mine, I picked up a used motor and it worked great. I've never taken one apart, they use clutch-head screws if I remember? I thought I read here that someone was repairing these motors, but I don't remember who :sad: good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
paulsbird

Post by paulsbird »

Thanks Bob that makes sense I will order up a replacement motor and see how it goes.
Thanks for the counsel.
Paul
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

There is an adjustment on the control cable to turn on/off the motor. My thoughts are this cable has slipped and is why you can not turn off the motor because you can not completely control the flow from the the pump. I would definitely try to adjust before going through the hassle of changing the motor. You have a new pump which is probably putting out more pressure than the old and is able to overpower the control valve as it was acceptably set with your old pump. Fact is you motor is working, just have to find out what needs to be done to make it stop and then work when you want it to. If you replace the motor this cable will need to be readjusted anyway, so I would try that first.

Keep us posted!
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

63SR Silver Mink
paulsbird

Post by paulsbird »

Hi Joe
The cable is nice and tight no slack perplexed to say the least how do you adjust is it just the one screw?
Thx
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

I would agree with Joe on cable adjustment first, but I think you will probly find that the spool valve in the wiper motor has a small piece of hose rubber lodged in it. Reason I say that has I had that exact problem years ago in my 64 Landau. I blew a steering box to wiper motor hose, and my problems then started. To find out why my wipers would not turn off after adjusting the cable, I opened the wiper motor, and found a little minute piece of rubber. Just large enough to keep the spool valve from fully closing, and allowing the fluid to bypass and cycle the wipers. At the time, the wiper motor looked realativly simple in construction, with a paddle plate that ossilated 90* back and forth to cycle the wiper arms, and the spool valve just redirected the fluid to actuate the paddle. The biggest challenge was the cover screws, but a pair of vice grips did the job. If you are up to a trial and are mechanically minded, try disassembling the motor, or checking the spool valve.

You were planning on possibly replacing the wiper motor anyways, so if the problem is not repaired then you didn't really lose much, but did get an inner workings of the wiper motor.

If you succeed, you saved the down time, and the cost of a motor.

My two cents worth, and we do not have pennies any more.

Good luck; Wally K
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

I read the instructions in the Shop Manual and it states to "adjust the control cable so that the control knob on the instrument panel moves the valve control lever on the motor from off to full on. More info and pictures are limited in the manual and I did not compare to my 63 and only going from the manual. So, I am thinking Raven may have nailed the problem in that something is blocking the valve and letting fluid by and allowing your wipers to function. More support to this thought is you state the cable is tight, so it did not slip out of adjustment, and therefor should not need any further adjustment.

I wonder if the next time you start the car if you rev it up and turn the wipers off and to full on 10 - 15 times to see if the fluid pressure would flush out anything from the valve body? Worth a try in my book.

63SR Silver Mink
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Hi paulsbird

See some photos of motor and adjuster here. http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/Stubb ... 3&o=10ield
Also if you do a search on windshield wipers there is a diagram of the motor in one of the posts.
Try this one http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/p ... per#p54164
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Joe; your idea of attempting to hydralically trying to dislodge the offending garbage within the motor is valid. BUT do not think it will work, just push the grime further in to the spool valve body. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Simpler than taking wiper motor apart. I would give that a try first.
Next question is, did the wipers ever over travel? this thought, comes to mind, as with the pump failure, did excessive pressure cause the swing linkage for the arms get bent/distorted/ etc. This giving rise to losing the park position of the wiper motor? Not a rabbit hole we want to go down till we know that wiper motor is ok first.

Keep us posted.

Kind thoughts Wally K
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
paulsbird

Post by paulsbird »

There's some really useful tips posted and I really appreciate all of your input and offers of help.
I have now ordered a new wiper motor and hose
So will keep the forum updated of my progress.

Thanks what a fantastic forum.
paulsbird

Post by paulsbird »

Well I am very pleased to say that my steering and wiper issue is now resolved.
New P/S pump and recon wiper motor sorted it.
Thanks to all who offered their assistance.
Happy crusin!!!!
Ghostman

Post by Ghostman »

Having the same on my 69 Tbird issue. Where did you purchase the recondition wiper motor. Any info much appreciated.