Looking for advice on issues with Convertible flair birds

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

AngryBirds

Looking for advice on issues with Convertible flair birds

Post by AngryBirds »

So I recently discovered the Thunderbird I have always wanted for a price that was extremely fair in my book. It is a Ragoon Red with Red interior 65 Convertible and is almost sort of a barn find. This car has 62k original miles and from my original examinations has never been torn apart or tampered with. The cars owner had passed before the project could have been started and the son wanted to get rid of it quickly. Now I have dealt with many hardtops from 64-66 but never had my hands on a convertible, so my question is what should I really be looking out for? Where do these cars usually have rusting and major problems apart from the electrical top issues? The car already runs and moves but the brakes are gone and the electrical stuff seems to be not working.

Also another thing is the car was in a slight accident at one point where the passenger door and rocker were slightly damaged along with the drivers front fender. The car is also equipped with cruise control which I plan to remove and a recliner seat which also may be replaced in favor of the standard seat.

Anyway here are some photos of it in its tiny resting place.

https://imgur.com/a/ysx8L
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Pretty much the same issues as a hardtop, once you put aside the top, which of course is a world unto itself. Were you able to look in the trunk, since the electrical is bad? That would be a ragtop problem area from drainage problems.
'66 Ragtop, 77k miles. Antique bronze. Brought from original owner. Fully documented.
AngryBirds

Post by AngryBirds »

Brian, I was not able to look inside at all I almost could lift it up manually though.
Current Thunderbird Projects:
1965 White Hardtop
1965 Red Convertible Project (Bodywork Stage)
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

Should you buy this car - the Convertible Top manual is ESSENTIAL!! I have a 63SR and the manual explains how things work and how to trouble shoot problems. I would have been completely overwhelmed without it and forever chasing my diagnostic tail!
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
wayne63011

Post by wayne63011 »

AB . . . . good luck with your new project!
Our '65 convertible is the same red on red combination with the reclining passenger's seat. I'd suggest you keep it, as my wife says it is very comfortable on long trips.
Since your car is reportedly "original", I'd sure appreciate a color picture of the front seat belts sometime, as our front belts don't match the rear belts and we don't know which color is correct.
kevindeluca66

Post by kevindeluca66 »

Hi Wayne, I dont mean to hijack this thread but the front belts were standard and the rear belts were optional and could have been picked by the dealer mechanic or the original owner. Whatever you have up front is what you should look for to put in the rear.
A 66 Thunderbird is cool. A Sapphire Blue 66 is a beautiful car. The 428 engine completes the package.
VTCI#10019 Member since 2002, parents have been members since I was 11 years old.
John R. Thomas

65 soft top

Post by John R. Thomas »

May I suggest not removing the auto pilot. (I thought that 66 was the
first year) When you remove all of the strange parts under the hood,
all of the screws and fasteners have left ugly holes on the inner fender.
The steering wheel will be wrong also.
I modified my steering wheel by removing the sagging horn ring, &
connected the horn wire to the auto pilot rocker switches. All of the
complex auto pilot stuff is left in place.
Tbird100636

Re: 65 soft top

Post by Tbird100636 »

John R. Thomas - May I suggest not removing the auto pilot. (I thought that 66 was the
first year) When you remove all of the strange parts under the hood,
all of the screws and fasteners have left ugly holes on the inner fender.
The steering wheel will be wrong also.
I modified my steering wheel by removing the sagging horn ring, &
connected the horn wire to the auto pilot rocker switches. All of the
complex auto pilot stuff is left in place.
The car he's looking at is a 65, which doesn't have a unique steering wheel for cruise like your 66 does. All controls are on left console chrome molding (a push button and thumb wheel).
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- 390 FE 4V- Chantilly Beige- NEVER done, but beautiful as is.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- 390 FE 4V- Red (Originally Wimbledon White)- Hood installed and repaint coming... well... not sure when...