55' engine swap two choices don't know what i want to do

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

tcdixon93

55' engine swap two choices don't know what i want to do

Post by tcdixon93 »

alright so i have two choices of motor and drivetrains to swap into my 1955 thunderbird i want it to be resto-mod for a daily driver down the road first in 5.0 cyote crate engine with Tremec T-56 trans 9" rear end and independent front suspension 4wheel disks. the next option is going to be a full subaru STI swap 2.5 DOHC turbo 6speed trans and possibly making a awd thunderbird no mater that direction i go with it, its going to be a long project. any input would be appreciated thank you
cdhowell

Post by cdhowell »

Not a purist but there is something to be said for brand loyalty. Hate seeing a Small Block Chevy in any Ford.
Did you ever stop to think and forget to start again?
tcdixon93

Post by tcdixon93 »

i understand where your coming from it was just an ideal since i work at a Subaru shop and have access to all parts cheap but i also have a buddy at a ford shop so i have him keeping an eye out for something to roll through the shop i have some time since i have a good bit of body work to do its going to be a full frame off restoration
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

I like stock and highly modified cars, BUT.....in MY opinion, if you have a friend working at a Ford dealership he should have contacts to lead to a late model wrecked Mustang as a donor car. At a show, I would spend time checking it out but walk by it with the hood up showing a Subaru engine. That's just me. Lots of choices, but in the end its your car to build the way you want it.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
55Greg&Amy

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

It's your car so do what makes you happy. I would like to see an all wheel drive T-bird. It sure would be different and probably a first.
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
rokhopperyj

Post by rokhopperyj »

I almost went the Coyote motor myself with the auto trans. Found a build on V8 TV where they put the engine in a '55. It required a massive amount of work to make it all fit and frankly it just isnt that purdy! I have got a Ford Motorsports 306 crate engine on the way with a TCI C4. Watch my thread that I started on this page. I am pulling the engine and trans tomorrow night and hope to see my stuff soon. My Griffin radiator has already arrived as well as my classic auto air a/c system.
I don't think that anyone wants to see a (gag) Subaru engine in anything :shock:
Disclaimer; that's just my opinion.
LEAVING NO STONE(OR BOLT) UNTURNED!
AndrewnTX

Post by AndrewnTX »

I agree w/ everyone's reply, stay Ford motor. As to the Coyote there is a good write up in on of the recent Hot Rod magazines about motor swapping and they actually detail what's to be done on a '55-57 Bird to put that motor in.

Even if I had an unlimited budget and time, at the end of the day it's hard to beat a good old pushrod 5.0L EFI. Easy, great OE electronics, great fuel mileage, and tons of parts to go fast if you want. Previous owner swapped in one into my '56 .. I've been runnin it over 3 yrs, it's a great way to go.
1956 Ford Thunderbird
1961 Ford Econoline 5 Window P/U
1988 Ford Mustang LX 5.8L Coupe
2012 Cadillac CTS-V SportWagon
Coyotebird

Re: 55' engine swap two choices don't know what i want to do

Post by Coyotebird »

I am in the process of placing a Gen 3 Coyote into my 55 Thunderbird. Hope to have everything done by March. So far everything is going smooth. The donor car was a 2020 side collision Mustang GT. We are using the 6 Speed manual transmission that came with the motor, and a rear end from a 2009 GT 500. We will post pictures once we have the motor in place.
ranchbird

Re: 55' engine swap two choices don't know what i want to do

Post by ranchbird »

Hers one at a local car show this summer.
Attachments
PXL_20230513_160459049.jpg