1961 convertible top operation videos.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

mjabbasi

1961 convertible top operation videos.

Post by mjabbasi »

Made these 2 videos of my T-Bird's top going up and down. With the exception of the top itself, the mechanism is completely original hence it should be too surprising if it doesn't perform as it should but I think its ok. The only issue is when the top goes up and the flipper lid goes down, the deck lid needs prompting with a slight push to move forward and close. You cannot see it in the video but when the top is up the deck lid had to be pushed to move forward and close. This does not happen when the top comes down, the deck lid closes immediately. Whether this has anything to do with the slight misalignment of the deck lid causing a balance issue or a temperamental limit switch I'm not sure of.

https://vimeo.com/80062074

https://vimeo.com/80073816
Moin Abbasi

1961 Montecarlo Red Thunderbird Convertible
1962 Nocturne Blue Lincoln Continental Sedan
1963 Premier Yellow Lincoln Continental Convertible
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

I always stop and watch these mechanical ballets when I get a chance. They're really remarkable given the technology of the day.
Do you have to keep pressing the top switch the whole time or do you just press it once and it takes off?

Gorgeous car BTW.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
mjabbasi

Post by mjabbasi »

No you have to stand there and keep damn switch pressed up or down the whole time and if you let go, it stops in mid way. That's how alot of people display their cars at shows with the top displayed in mid cycle.
Moin Abbasi

richs redbird

Post by richs redbird »

Long live the Hard top ;-)
Beautiful car.

Richard in New Bern
1957 Bronze Bird
1928 A PICK UP
1962 M CODE HT/sold
2012 F-150
billkexel

Post by billkexel »

Very nice. I too love to watch & observe all the mechanics that go into making this happen. When I was a kid, these things facsinated me & made me want to know what each part did.
mjabbasi

Post by mjabbasi »

Thanks but I'm still waiting for the answer I'm really hoping to hear: Does the speed of the top going up and down appear normal or on the slow side?
Moin Abbasi

Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Thanks but I'm still waiting for the answer I'm really hoping to hear: Does the speed of the top going up and down appear normal or on the slow side?
It appears normal to me, though slightly jerky at times which suggests there may be a little air in the system.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
mjabbasi

Post by mjabbasi »

Which reminds me, how does one exactly bleed air out of the system? Just by lowering and raising it a few times? Would it be advisable to open the filler screw in the pump reservoir by the right rear fender to let the air escape while working the top?
Moin Abbasi

Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Which reminds me, how does one exactly bleed air out of the system? Just by lowering and raising it a few times? Would it be advisable to open the filler screw in the pump reservoir by the right rear fender to let the air escape while working the top?
Correct. Put a rag under the pump to soak up any fluid that burps out during the cycling and top off fluid between cycles as needed. I wouldn't advise cycling more than three times in a row to prevent overheating the pump. If it's still taking fluid after three cycles, just wait 20-30 minutes or so before continuing.

It can be a little messy and since I need to perform this operation quite often on different cars, I use one of these to make it easier:

http://store.convertibleparts.com/fluid-matic-tool.html

A small funnel with a piece of vinyl tubing attached works well for occasional use.

Since you have a '61, there may be DOT 3 brake fluid in your system instead of the Type F that was commonly used in '62 and later. So be sure to check first - it's not advisable to mix the two.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
Mr-Mach1

Post by Mr-Mach1 »

There is a switch on each deck lid hinge. One controls the deck lid on top down and the other top up. Seems the push you need to give it is required to activate the switch so an adjustment is necessary. I forget which one it is. There are diagrams at TBirdSquare.com .

http://www.reocities.com/tpls63/technic ... _diag.html

If you need the shop manuals I have them on my site

http://www.fordramair.com/new/info/tech ... anuals.htm

Leon
mjabbasi

Post by mjabbasi »

Oh its brake fluid alright. Its clear, not the typical red ATF. Its possible this is what it really needs as I have never done any bleeding of the system with the filler hole open to let the air escape. Will give that a try.

As for adjusting those switches, that is something I need to look into. Never done it before and I have the shop manual and glanced through that but could not find any diagnosis for the top up deck lid not closing issue.
Moin Abbasi

Mr-Mach1

Post by Mr-Mach1 »

The manuals don't seem to directly address the problems I have. That's why forums are such a Godsend. To adjust the switch you'll need a feeler gauge and a continuity tester. You must use both and folliw the procedure in the convertible top manual. You probably need just a slight adjustment on the one switch. Do that one first and if it solves the problem stop there. I had a single problem with a switch and like a fool I messed with all of them. It took hours of studying schematics just to fix things back to the one problem. This top system is quite elaborate and complex unless you can break it down and understand exactly what each component does and when.