Motor Mounts

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

vince

Motor Mounts

Post by vince »

Recently purchased from Pat Wilson two new motor mounts for my '66 428 w/ C6. Originally these were specific left or right side mounts. The ones shipped in a Ford bag are a 'fits left and right'. They line up and holes are all in the right places etc. The only difference I noted was the motor mount has only only the bolt to the frame mount. The original mounts had a bolt and a rounded pin which fit into a second smaller hole. I assume once bolted to the motor and the mount the frame mount and frame mount to frame nothing is can go any where. Wondering if anyone has used these before?

Also cannot see in Factory Specs a color call out for the mounts. The old ones mostly appear to be a natural color although one has some blue in it. The PO had a lot of engine work done this may be just overspray. Anyone know for sure? Thanks
'66 Convertible, 428, in progress
RedBird64

Re: Motor Mounts

Post by RedBird64 »

The blue would be overspray. By the time I got to my old mounts the showed no sign of paint but they could have been black..
All I can tell you about the pin is that my 64 doesn't tuilize one and it hasn't been a problem. The pin may have been to help factory workers position the mounts quickly and prececisely, rather than have to twist and manipulate them on the line.

Good luck,
Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
paulr

Re: Motor Mounts

Post by paulr »

For your comparison and additional anecdotal info...
I just bought a new set. They are painted black as is the left side heat shield. Is this as original? Who knows (my existing ones both have overspray from more than one paint job. These are not interchangeable and, to add confusion, are sold by Bird Nest for all 64-66 models. They're absolutely L and R and the pair I got do have a small bump to fit into the motor mount bracket. Maybe this picture holds some clue for you.
Attachments
Screenshot 2018-12-01 15.50.34.png
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson