Vaccum Manifold

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Rt.146

Vaccum Manifold

Post by Rt.146 »

Behind the manifold and on it facing the firewall (on mine at least) there is another port for a hose would anyone know what this port is used for? I have an idea, possibly for the heater/defrost vents not sure though.
redstangbob

Re: Vaccum Manifold

Post by redstangbob »

what year? many changes on FE's. post a pic, makes things way easier.
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

It is the vacuum manifold that all the vacuum hoses run into, installed and facing it you cannot see the extra port for a hose in the back of the manifold, my guess is it is for vacuum supply color wheel all my vacuum hoses were either disconnected or missing, that why I'm guessing also in all the pics. of the vacuum manifold I never saw one mentioning this port in the back of it. Mine is connected to the car, I would show a pic. thought to be honest I don't feel like doing the contortions to remove it.

Generic pic:
vacuum.jpg
behind the manifold.

66 Landau
Last edited by Rt.146 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Are you talking about the intake manifold and at the rear of the engine/manifold, directly behind the carb? If so, my idea is you are describing a PCV port which is plumbed on the manifold off of the rocker cover.
Last edited by RAVEN on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
paulr

Post by paulr »

Rt.146 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:16 pm my guess is it is for vacuum supply color wheel all my vacuum hoses were either disconnected or missing, that why I'm guessing ...

Mine is connected to the car,
Generic pic:vacuum.jpg behind the mainfold.

66 Landau
Guessing won't work; car is too complicated. No vacuum hoses from the manifold are dedicated to the HVAC exclusively on any Tbird 64-66MY. If all your hoses were messed up (this is not uncommon), the only certain way to restore them is with a map. An Osborn Electrical reproduction will have exact diagrams for those hoses specifically for your '66TL. They're usually $16 plus shipping from Tbird vendors. It will explain a hundred other things on your car, too. If you're looking at the port for your PCV sytem, it too, is something past owners like to mess up.

"mine is connected to the car". What does this mean, specifically?

Pics won't show up if you don't add them in file form to the text box. try looking below the box to the Attachment tab, and go from there.
Screenshot 2018-11-09 12.13.55.png
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

I'm writing of the vacuum manifold that is inside car on the passenger side behind the dash my manifold has a port on the backside of the manifold which faces the firewall, I do have both Osborne manuals, I'll check them again I do not remember seeing it though. Where does the color wheel vacuum come from? "mine is connected to the car. What does this mean, specifically?" the vacuum manifold is attached to the car behind the dash on the passenger side about where the Thunderbird, emblem is on the front of the dash.
paulr

Post by paulr »

Rt.146 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:17 pm the vacuum manifold is attached to the car behind the dash on the passenger side about where the Thunderbird, emblem is on the front of the dash.
Does it look like this? If yes, you have door locks and this is the door lock manifold. Nothing to do with HVAC.
PICT0001.jpg
IMG_3322.jpg
The color wheel receives vacuum from a different vacuum circuit. It is shown in the Osborn book.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
paulr

Post by paulr »

Also, this vacuum line diagram is accurate. In your case, details being unknown, it will possibly be a little confusing. Use it together with your Osborn illustrations. http://www.parts123.com/birdnest/pdf/VacuumDiagrams.pdf
Good luck!
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

You say it's on the Manifold, is it this doohickie?

If so, the smaller line (nearest to us) is the vauum line that enters the car through the passenger side of the firewall. On non-AC cars it is for the parking brake release and the rear deck vent. Non-AC does not use it for the heater system at all. (Thankfully)
The other side is going to the brake booster (not sure if that's right but it works right there).
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
paulr

Post by paulr »

I think the OP is talking about the vac manifold inside the dash that is used for door locks, Scott, but that is a darn nice picture. Can ya make it any bigger? ;-)
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

I do appreciate the effort you guys have put into this post about the vacuum manifold even the non-answers referring to the Osborne manuals, the two pics. of the manifold for the "door locks" is what I have and been asking about, the pics. show the front side, the back side of mine which resembles the door-lock pics. has a connection for another hose. I will look at the manual for where the color wheel gets its source of vacuum, or run a hose from the back side of the door lock manifold to the color wheel or just put a cap on the back side port and call it even.
Rt.146

Re: pic. back of Vaccum Manifold

Post by Rt.146 »

These pics. are the back of the my
back of  vacuum manifold
back of vacuum manifold
vacuum manifold up above and slightly to the left of the red painted port is the port I'm asking about.
Attachments
back of  vacuum manifold
back of vacuum manifold
back of  vacuum manifold
back of vacuum manifold
paulr

Post by paulr »

Looks like the manifold was reengineered between '64 and '66. That's got to be the vacuum source nipple in back (on a '64 the nipple is on top). A line should be going from that nipple straight through the firewall into the lock canister right there at the firewall.

If the vac system on these cars is tight and the main check valve is good, you can get up to 3-4 minutes of positive pressure after the engine is shut off (meaning how long the locks will still work after turning off the car).

Cars have different accessories that require vac lines coming through the same firewall opening. Don't know what yours are. Mine looks like this...
IMG_4202.jpg
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

my 65 looks just like yours Paul, I don't think that is a nipple on the back. JMO
Attachments
IMG_0409.JPG
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

Not saying the back of mine is not the vacuum source thought other than that back port, the front of mine looks exactly like the vacuum manifolds in paulr and redstang bob's pictures. it has the top port where the others have their vacuum feed that is where (the top) I have the feed connected. If I was to connect the back port for the feed, that would make the my top port needing a hose or a plug, maybe it just is,the feed for the climate control, can't find the feed for the control in the manuals.