Seat Belts?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

skaggs

Seat Belts?

Post by skaggs »

So I ordered a set of seat belts for my '56 from Larry's. I got an order confirmation almost 2 weeks ago. My car is in the shop for a couple of things and I was going to have the belts installed. Still no seat belts have arrived. I called Larry's and they said the belts are back ordered and it would be another 3 weeks. Grrr. It would have been nice to have been notified of the back order. But anyway.... I'm looking for an alternative source for seat belts that would work for a '56 T-Bird. Any suggestions? Are lap belts what most folks use or can 3-point belts work? Thanks for any advice!!

Thomas
1957Birdman

Re: Seat Belts?

Post by 1957Birdman »

Lap belts are the way to go. Three point belts don't work because of the way the convertible top is stowed behind the seat. The lap belts work fine and were available on the car originally.
Good luck,
Lew Bachman
1957 Colonial White (with lap belts)
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Try the other suppliers - CASCO, Hills, Concours Parts
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
CSPIDY

Post by CSPIDY »

I am sure CASCO has them in stock
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
aveator

Post by aveator »

Lap belts will cut you in half in a crash. Try to find a 3=point alternative.
1957Birdman

Post by 1957Birdman »

The lap belts were part of the safety package for the '56 T-Bird and were not inherently dangerous. The car is just not setup for 3 point belts. If a person wants that then they should be looking at a 2002-2005 T-Bird that has 3 point seatbelts, air bags, crumple zones, etc. The point is that you are driving old technology that will never be as safe as a new car and should be driven accordingly.
Sincerely,
Lew Bachman
1957 Colonial White
DynoDan’55

Post by DynoDan’55 »

3-point belts CAN be installed. A T-Bird owner who suffered severe facial injuries after kissing the steering wheel in a crash once posted detailed installation instructions & parts sources, but I unfortunately lost track of the link over the years. Might still be online somewhere (?).
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

I feel obligated to add something here.

Yes, 3 point belts can be installed, but they may also contribute to spinal compression unless the top anchor or supporting loop is near or at about ear level. Look at the arrangement of your "modern" vehicle and see how the shoulder belt will hold you back and not push you down - then compare your shoulder height above your Little Bird's backrest. Anyone considering doing this needs to do it safely and correctly, as there is no support that is high enough for this upper mounting loop or fixture unless a roll bar is installed. Please do some googling and even search some Mustang forms for spinal compression from adding 3 point seat belts.

Info is available, both pro and con, so make an informed decision that suits you.

Be safe!
J
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink