rear coil over shocks

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

methos76

rear coil over shocks

Post by methos76 »

does anyone know where I can find coil over shocks for the rear of my 66, it sets to low really don't want to use air shocks. ant help is greatly appreciated
paulr

Re: rear coil over shocks

Post by paulr »

I don’t have a recommendation, just 2 cents. It could be time for leaf replacement (and bushings, u bolts, etc.). It’s not as hard as it sounds. I’ve never heard any glowing reviews from coil-over users on this car weighing north of 4500 lbs. Their value comes up short and is short-lived. This car demands Detroit steel from the period. Get Eaton springs for durability and proper stance.

Replace the old shocks with Monroes. Like I said, my 2cents. 🤙
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

I agree with Paul.
Also, (I'm trying to be delicate here...) people are just bigger than they were back then. If you routinely carry a couple of full grown people back there then you might consider going to a set of rear leafs for a convertible. They have a slightly higher weight rating but may also cause the back to sit a tiny bit higher.
I put new rear leafs on my car and they are VERY soft. The car sits great (slightly high in back) but I have not carried anything heavier than my 105# son in the back seat. I suspect that if I put a couple of full size generic Americans back there things wouldn't be so peachy.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
methos76

Post by methos76 »

thank you its just me and my wife I bought it for retirement, didn't want to deal with payments or hefty garage bills. just want the rear up at least 2 inches. always loved this year t-bird
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

I don't think you will find coil overs for a Thunderbird rear end. You could try air bags or get new springs like the others have said. My 64 was low at the back and my mechanic said he turned the rear shackles upside down so they sit below the rear hangers.
methos76

Post by methos76 »

I just checked is the price really 249 a piece for new rear springs
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

You could get the old ones re arched.
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

methos76 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:53 pm thank you its just me and my wife I bought it for retirement, didn't want to deal with payments or hefty garage bills. just want the rear up at least 2 inches. always loved this year t-bird
Speaking from years of experience, if you're planning to drive the car with any regularity, it's best to budget for regular maintenance, repairs and restoration. These are complex cars and even a "completely restored" Thunderbird will have and/or develop problems--sometimes just while sitting in the garage.

The common caveat with coil over or air shocks for the rear is that they redistribute the weight of the car, moving the load from the spring mounts to the sheet metal in the shock towers. It works for some, but it's a recipe for failure, especially if there's any rust or weakness in that area.

I suspect you'll find re-arching a little cheaper than new springs, but not a lot. In my case, I cut a coil off my front shocks--lowering the front about an inch to get the look I wanted.

~Steve
paulr

Post by paulr »

methos76 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:11 am I just checked is the price really 249 a piece for new rear springs
Sounds right.
Here's why you need them. Metal fatigue occurs with every cycle (up and down) the spring endures while driving. Thousands and thousands of cycles year after year. That's why The OEM springs were designed to control the ride and stance of the Tbird by Ford specifically for your car and not for every other car. Eaton is the only manufacturer I know who can explain the spring rate of their product and apply the correct one for your car. Some others merely manufacture a copycat of what looks like the same spring without any science behind the spring rate. Even worse, other manufacturers use Chinese steel for which no certain data can be learned. You can probably save a hundred bucks by going to a competitor but you won't have any assurance that your product will hold up over time, or even sit right from the start. It's not a Mustang or even an Impala. It's a tank. No time to go cheap.

Wherever you live you should search for and contact sources that stock or can order springs that you can pick up yourself locally.
Save the shipping. It can be high on leaf springs.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Google around you might find them cheaper. Like here https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.ph ... ts_id=9611
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

I bought a set with H/W from The Bird Nest http://www.parts123.com/parts123/dyndet ... &uKeY=2262
FWIW, they told me they were USA made...
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
methos76

Post by methos76 »

will adding a leaf on each side help bring the back of the car up?
paulr

Post by paulr »

Not really. That'd be a lot of work and little payoff.
Stubbie's post about flipping the rear shackles would be more effective than that, and free if you do it. That used to be the thing people did in the 70s and 80s; for a while it looked cool. Sorta. Really pops the rear end up there. Still have tired springs.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
methos76

Post by methos76 »

ok thank you like I said I only want to bring it up around 2 inches
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

methos76 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:07 pm ok thank you like I said I only want to bring it up around 2 inches
Two inches sounds like a lot. Will that just level it, or being the rear up higher than the front?