more power window issues

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

methos76

more power window issues

Post by methos76 »

I have a 66 t-bird and 3 out of the 4 windows work nonly when they want one doesn't at all, when I press the switch button I can see the interior light get dim then sometimes they work. at one time I had 3 working good, the next day none but when I push the switch the lights go a little dimmer. any ideas?
RedBird64

Re: more power window issues

Post by RedBird64 »

In regards to the dead window, I would either jumper the switch or swap in another switch to see if it will work.

For the rest of the windows I would start with the safety relay and follow the voltage through the circuit. If you find your losing a substantial portion of the voltage, you'll then need to figure out what part is causing it.
If you can get the windows to work consistantly with the eng running, then your problem is voltage drop someplace.

On my own car, I found that there was a substantial voltage drop in the main +12V feed wire going to the switch cluster. All connections were clean so I reluctatnly added another, parallel wire to get the votlage up.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
paulr

Post by paulr »

Suffering from voltage drop. Could be a dying relay, corrosion at connectors. It’s a place to start. Got a multimeter?
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
methos76

Post by methos76 »

thank you yes I have a volt meter not real experienced using one, its the motor in the passenger door that's bad, I have replacement. the relay mounted on the firewall looks new but I will have to check it out. just trying to get it ready for inspection. in the middle of some body work right now. I hate body work almost as much as electrical work. should have bought one that was already done, lol
paulr

Post by paulr »

methos76 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:59 pm its the motor in the passenger door that's bad, I have replacement.
Too many times I've known/read stories of people starting out with motor replacement, only to find the problem persists. IMHO, the motor is the least likely guilty link in the chain most times. Of course, hang on to it; they're expensive. In my experience with Tbird power windows, whether or not the motor's good or bad, items that will affect performance exist in two areas:

1.) Electrical connections including firewall plugs. So many connectors where corrosion may creep in.
2.) Rubber, i.e., roof rails, bumpers (stops, whatever). Guaranteed to be shot if no one's ever replaced them, and essential to travel function.
should have bought one that was already done, lol
Uh, yeah. Tbirds all done with no issues. Like unicorns. (don't exist).
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Yes, the front motors rarely fail.
It's the back ones that are bathed in water every time it rains (unless the windows seals have been replaced). Mine were a solid block of indistiguishable rust.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
methos76

Post by methos76 »

I did try jumping passenger window to see if it worked, it don't. I managed to get ahold of working replacement motors for all 4 but its only the one that's actually bad
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

Where did you apply the test power when you jumped the motor? In the door or at the switch?
Terry
64HT
methos76

Post by methos76 »

both places, no response from motor
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

One other thing to think about. The ground is part of the wiring harness and goes back to the dash (in the 64's, not sure about 66). If you only applied 12 volts to the yellow or red (I think the passenger side has a black stripe on each), the ground is still in the circuit. At the motor connector you need to ground the female.
Hope this helps
Terry
64HT
methos76

Post by methos76 »

ok I was fooling around on the passenger side, lower panel was already off the dash on that side so I grabbed the harness that was showing and moved it around a bit and my rear windows are now working but neither of the front are. along with my back windows now working I also now have dash lights. so im guessing I have a problem in that harness or where it plugs together. is there any where else I should be looking?
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Well that's promising!
Have you checked the lock-out switch for the rears? I would also check every connection right upto the switch assembly. And look for any hacking or other obvious non-stock alterations. Many times those don't hold up to the test of time.
Nice that you don't have to spend big bucks on the rear motors though.

Scott
methos76

Post by methos76 »

ok I have all my power windows working except passenger door, tested nothing. beat on it nothing so leaves me with its a bad motor. so I will replace the motor and that should end my window problems. then I move on to my heater control issues. slowly getting everthing working again. finish up body work and get it painted. looking forward to that
methos76

Post by methos76 »

ok found a vacuum line unhooked from the e-brake hooked that back up am going to check my heater controls tomorrow and see if things are working right without a vacuum leak
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Does your e-brake release now when you put the car in gear? (Hopefully)

Scott