Secondary vacuum canister?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

GROOVYBIRD

Secondary vacuum canister?

Post by GROOVYBIRD »

My '66 Landau has factory air and a vacuum canister on the firewall. The diagrams indicate that there should be a second vacuum cannister near the right headlight? There's not one and no sign there ever was one. Should there be? If not, anyone recommend adding it? My car was produced in October, 1965, if that helps.

Thanks!
CJ
tbird

Re: Secondary vacuum canister?

Post by tbird »

The vacuum tank on the right side inner fender is only used on cars equipped with A/C. Sorry did not read your original post fully.

The 66 tank should be on your factory A/C car, on the 66 MY it was installed in the right wheelhouse out of site. You would need to check under the inner fender metal in front of the tire to find it.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
Royce Richmond

Post by Royce Richmond »

I just replaced mine on my 66 conv. this last weekend. If you lay on your back and look up as if you are looking up at the fender turn signals you can see the canister. there should be a single vacuum hose going to it. I removed the cross brace from the bumper and lowered the canister for replacement, Not an easy task. there are two bolts fastening it to the fender inside the engine compartment next to the battery that must be removed
first. This canister is to hold reserved vacuum during say a hill climb when engine vacuum is reduced. It helps keep the vacuum applied to the A/C doors during those conditions.
Royce
GROOVYBIRD

Post by GROOVYBIRD »

Thank you both, I think the culprit has been spotted--at least a stub of vacuum hose that should led to it has been located!!! Appreciate the guidance!

CJ