Motor mount lift

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

omc4u

Re: Motor mount lift

Post by omc4u »

Here is what I have now, looks like the mounts measure about 3 inches from top to bottom installed. I don't understand why they already look like they are sagging. I am still kind of pissed that the engine builder installed crappy bolts that are rusting. Just one more thing to redo.
Attachments
IMG_3788.JPG
IMG_3787.JPG
IMG_3786.JPG
IMG_3785.JPG
IMG_3784.JPG
IMG_3782.JPG
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

OMC,
I don’t see any more distortion in the rubber of your mounts than on mine so I guess that’s by design. I’m suspicious this is due to the slanted-back orientation of our installed engines...Ford didn’t bother to redesign the motor mount...they fit with some distortion...good enough. Time will tell how yours (and mine) stand up to use.

FWIW, I’ve read that engines rotate opposite to the direction of the turning crankshaft. So, clearance on the passenger side is the most critical.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

One of Sir Issac Newtons law of physics was; with every acton, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Crank turns right do to combustion; reaction is block rotates to the left.
In some cases the motor has broke the mounts and the block ends up sitting on its side under the hood. In some cases the factory installed reaction cables (mounted from block to frame) to minimize the rocking action of the motor. This applied to high HP/high torq motors.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
omc4u

Post by omc4u »

Hello all,

I waned to say thank you for all the help and the problem is now resolved. I have add a 1/4 in shim to each side between the frame and frame mount, and added a 1/8 shim between the motor mount and the frame mount. We now have more than enough clearance and no issues with thread length on the studs.

Now on to try and re plumb all the vacuum lines because the engine builder did not hook them back up and I do not have pics, plus the Edelbrock intake, so off to the manual we go.

Thanks again everyone.
omc4u

Post by omc4u »

Ok guys,
I am done, these headers can kiss my !@#, After all the time getting the height clearance correct I tried to attach the collector. The drivers side was tight; however, the passenger side is not going to go at all. I am done, had it, F this header. I think you get the drift. To top it off the builder used socket head bolts on the top of the headers and there is no way in Holy heck that you can get a allen wrench socket in these things without lifting the motor. Does anyone have any ideas other than pull the motor?
omc4u

Post by omc4u »

2 1/2 hours later they are out, had to jack each side of the engine almost 4 inches, needless to say that is as high as the engine would go. FPA's are going in as soon as they arrive. I will update with how that goes.
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

I feel for you, bud. Shock towers and headers are almost mutually exclusive. With my FPA’s I took the advice of the mfr rep and installed them on the engine-transmission assembly, outside of the car, then installed everything at one time into the car. It was very tight. I think FPA headers have been installed in our cars without removing the engine but I assume significant lifting was involved. Good luck with that. Besides the header clearance issue on the sides which I think you have handled with shims, the only other issue I had with the FPA’s was clearance between the headers and the transmission dipstick tube. A bit of heating and bending of the dipstick tube was required. Good luck.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
omc4u

Post by omc4u »

Update, Broke down and spent the extra money on FPA headers, coated them myself with a custom color and they are perfect. Fit like a glove after jacking the motor to the moon and back, but other than that no issues at all. Thanks everyone for the help.