Squeaking noise in upper control arm.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

wabigoon

Squeaking noise in upper control arm.

Post by wabigoon »

Just a FYI. Had a squeaking noise in upper control arm. There is no grease fittings on the two nuts that hold the shaft in so I was going to remove and grease, or replace them. That is a fairly big job that I don't have time for, so I loosened both nuts off about two turns and retighten them. That redistributed the grease in them and no more squeak. They were not loose so I think this will work for some time.
Rt.146

Re: Squeaking noise in upper control arm.

Post by Rt.146 »

My mother bought a 65 T-Bird in 65, around 1968 I remember her complaining about a squeak driving the car myself that squeak was there, aggravating, though I think the 65 had a grease fitting, hard to find.
wabigoon

Post by wabigoon »

On some models they greased them at the factory and then put plugs in them. If you have enough room you can remove them and put grease fittings in them.
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

wabigoon wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:09 pm Just a FYI. Had a squeaking noise in upper control arm. There is no grease fittings on the two nuts that hold the shaft in so I was going to remove and grease, or replace them. That is a fairly big job that I don't have time for, so I loosened both nuts off about two turns and retighten them. That redistributed the grease in them and no more squeak. They were not loose so I think this will work for some time.
I actually took mine apart a couple of years back after living with this squeak for many years. Inside, the "lifetime" grease was long gone and the arm was worn badly enough to make for uneven braking (especially hard stops).
IMG_20160827_150813824-1024x576.jpg
The manual is unusually detailed about these fittings--requiring a perfectly-sized spacer to ensure that the assembly is torqued properly and doesn't get bent in the process. This is a big job, yes, but when the squeak comes back, it's worth considering replacing the arm.

~Steve
paulr

Post by paulr »

I have to second Steve's remark. My 64 control arm shaft bushings were in the same condition--worse, actually. The evaporated grease had left the steel threads to almost polish themselves flat. It's a big job I would move higher up on the list. You do realize the springs on these cars are made by companies that make trucking suspension parts.

BTW, for MY65 grease nipples were added. Your new 64 replacement shafts will come with grease nipples--er, buy the good ones, anyway.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

In my past years, I never knew of 64 or earlier Birds having greasable upper control arm pivots. Replacements were obtainable with Zerk fittings. Also from memory, if the front end squeaked when you trounced the car, and shocks were OK, and no interference occurred in the arms, this was an indicator of failed bushings (metal to metal pivots) and an accident in the making of total upper shaft failure.
I have seen where shops would "torch" a hole in the shock tower front and back to allow to drill/thread Zerk fittings in the control arm ends, allowing greasing. This was a band-aid, which worked, but was not a true repair, it still left you with a walking upper arm, and alignment issue on suspension travel.
I have seen upper arm pivots so worn that the diameter of the ends was so small, you had a 1/2 inch of sloppy play (a 1/2" shaft in a 1" end hole)

Also note, the upper arm "NUTS" are really "PIVOTS", and they rotate on the centre shaft. When the ends are fitted to the shaft, the upper arm "PIVOTS", and the ends rotate on the threads, when no lubrication exists it is a wearable metal to metal action. Hiding the noise is only hiding the failure.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
wabigoon

Post by wabigoon »

All good points and they should be replaced at some time. I did check for any play and there is none. I think there was just a dry spot on the treads and grabbing some grease from somewhere else fixed it. No matter how much grease you pack into something the only thing that counts is the grease between contact points The other stuff is just along for the ride. Just like a wheel bearing, the only grease that matters is the grease in the bearing. Packing the hub full between the inner and outer bearing might make you feel better but it doesn't do any good.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

The amount of pressure exerted by the massive front springs, and the fact that the front springs have a minor curve, the angular thrust forces over come the ability of someone to feel with a pry bar or see any wear movement, unless massive. IMHO.
The only way to be sure is to compress the springs, removing their force on the upper arm, then feeling any play in the pivots.
I did my front end on my car, many years ago, and the mechanic; (a childhood friend, and a heavy equipment tech) doing the work, felt that nothing was wrong with the upper arms, attempting to be cost effective, I told him to do it all. He was reluctant in doing so, but very quickly changed his mind, after compressing the springs. Sseebart's photo above was what I had, the shafts were worn. A film of grease may silence the squeak, but does not fix the problem.
1964 Red Convertible
paulr

Post by paulr »

Can you get a trustworthy estimate of mileage on the car? Did you get a squeak on both sides or just one?
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
wabigoon

Post by wabigoon »

I believe the mileage to be 48000 the car sat in Arizona for around 25 years. The squeak is on one side. The shaft is in the center of the cap nut. The car has zero rust.
paulr

Post by paulr »

Mileage is one factor, time is another. 48K doesn’t sound high but after 50 years dehydration has had an unquestionable effect. Those of us who’ve done this work ourselves know that squeak means you’ve got metal on metal on one side. The other side won’t be better. The risk associated with this repair belongs up there with the sloppy shifter syndrome, JMHO.
Anyway, with a car that beautiful, who wants to cruise into the show sounding like an old Murphy bed. Best of luck.

EDIT:
Sitting in Arizona for 25 years doesn’t help things in this case. Garaged or not, it’s the outback.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Who says squeaky springs are not fun!!!!
1964 Red Convertible
paulr

Post by paulr »

RAVEN wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:03 pm Who says squeaky springs are not fun!!!!
OK, Wally. Don't go there.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT