Battery is not charging?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

thundertom

Battery is not charging?

Post by thundertom »

Hello Thunderbird friends,

i'm Thomas from germany. In advance I apologize for my bad English.

My mother has a 55 Thunderbird (beautiful car :smile: ) and we may have a problem. On the last drive, I noticed a dimly lit GEN light.
The sun went down and I had to turn on the light. At home, I turned off the engine to get something out of the house.
Then we wanted to start the engine again, but nothing. Battery empty. Only 11 volts.
With the multimeter I checked the generator voltage and 13 volts were displayed here. It fluctuated with the rpm of the engine.
Also on the voltage regulator, I was able to measure the 13 volts on the input side.
On the regulator output side (to the battery), I could only measure 11 volts. The output voltage did not fluctuate with the rpm.
Always the same at 11 volts.
Could the regulator be damaged? At the moment I charge the battery completely.

Thank you in advance. :-)

Best wishes
Thomas
goldwinghg

Re: Battery is not charging?

Post by goldwinghg »

I just went through the same thing,with my 56 tbird. The battery was running around 11 volts,after setting for awhile. I noticed that he voltage was slowing going down. I took the battery cables,off,and tried charging the battery. It wouldn't hold the charge. It finally settled out at about 9 volts. I replaced the battery,now it is ok. I always keep a battery tender on my battery. My battery was over 6 years old. I thought that wasn't bad,for as old as it was. You can take your battery to a auto parts store,and they can check to see if it is bad.
thundertom

Post by thundertom »

Hi,

the battery was replaced a year ago. :???:
goldwinghg

Post by goldwinghg »

I would have the battery checked. I have had batteries go bad in less than a year.
voltron

Post by voltron »

With 13 volts being supplied by the generator and only 11 volts showing at the battery terminal of the regulator indicates the there is a problem with cut out relay in the voltage regulator. I would get a new voltage regulator if it were me.
thundertom

Post by thundertom »

goldwinghg wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:09 pm I would have the battery checked. I have had batteries go bad in less than a year.
Yes it could be, but I will first renew the regulator.
voltron wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:18 pm With 13 volts being supplied by the generator and only 11 volts showing at the battery terminal of the regulator indicates the there is a problem with cut out relay in the voltage regulator. I would get a new voltage regulator if it were me.
Ok, then I will replace. :smile:
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

If there is an automotive electrical repair shop near you, I recommend removing both generator and regulator and have them checked out.

With only 13 volts at the generator, it doesn't seem to be working properly.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
thundertom

Post by thundertom »

I try it first with a new regulator.

Thanks to all. :-)