55 Top Harness?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Mel56

55 Top Harness?

Post by Mel56 »

I rigged up a hoist to lift off the top on the wife's 55 bird. Now, my dilemma is to have some kind of harness that goes around the top for my hoist to lift. Just wondering if anyone has a system to lift off the top. Or any suggestions on what I can use to lift off the top. I'm a polio survivor so I don't have a lot strength in my left arm.

Thanks!
Joe Johnston

Re: 55 Top Harness?

Post by Joe Johnston »

Nearly all of our Thunderbird specific parts suppliers have different slings, bracketry or straps to accommodate your needs. Check Hills, Larry's, or Casco for starters.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
Firstandtenth

Post by Firstandtenth »

Larry's - https://www.larrystbird.com/product/top-hoist-5557/ .
The one from NPD is not recommended to store the top on it - only to raise and lower - https://www.npdlink.com/product/hard-to ... %26year%3D .
Concours list this one - http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll ... Z50000051c

All come with some sort of harness, but I'm not sure regarding recommendation of the harness holding the car for long periods of time. According to articles I have read the top tends to bow out at the bottom if left hanging for long periods of time. I'm sure there are other members that are more versed than me regarding this practice. I store mine in a rolling rack (Tag-Along) that I got at Larry's - takes two to lift it off and put it in the rack.
1957 Raven Black E-code, manual (second owner)
1990 Super Coupe, auto. (original owner)
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

I agree, the top will bow out during some time. I guess gravity does it's dirty deeds..... :badgrin:
Here's what I have to store my top:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L0 ... UTF8&psc=1
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Mel56

Post by Mel56 »

Thanks for your responses. I ordered a harness from CASCO. Also thanks for the tip of not storing it on the harness. The plan is to use the harness to remove the top from the bird and to lower it during usage. I'm sure that the top won't be left off for long periods of time.

If this harness works, I'm all good. My concern is that the straps will stretch. I don't have a lot of header space so I need to raise the top enough to clear the windshield when I back out the car.

Thanks again!
CSPIDY

Post by CSPIDY »

I have the Harness from CASCO works very well. if will not clear the windshield back the car in.
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
seany-boy

Re: 55/57 Top Harness?

Post by seany-boy »

So I finally installed my Casco Hardtop Hoist and used it today. A lot harder than it looks but definitely made a one man removal possible. I read another post where the poster replaced the pulleys with larger ones and I think that is absolutely a good idea. I also purchased some cheap seat belt protectors to cushion where the straps have the most weight on the top.
I have read folks comments that perhaps this should not be used for storage, any experience on how long is a reasonable amount of time to store the top suspended? Down here in Melbourne we really only get say 3-4 months of the year you would have to top down, is that too long to leave it hanging?
Should I be building a trolley as they are not readily available downunder that I can find?

Any thoughts welcome.
Red 57 Thunderbird 312 3spd O/D
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

Over the years I have found the biggest concern is the compression of the weather stripping by the straps. You have extra padding and that is very good. I also used a track and carriage from a sliding shed door. It isn't necessary but does allow me to slide the top forward of the car and down to the floor. I live in a rural area and the track and carriage was in stock in 10' and 20' lengths at the local Farm General Store! Couldn't find it at Lowe's or Home Depot. I also cut some wood strips that bridge the arch of the top and the web straps do not touch the weather strip on the sides. Simple and effective. I live in FL and my top has hung for at least 4 years. I did put it on last year and it still fit with no issues. Also added another (red) ratchet strap just for back up!

[attachment=1
Attachments
IMG_3837.JPG
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
seany-boy

Post by seany-boy »

Thanks Joe,

I like the idea of the additional strap and braces so will look into adding. I have read the sides can bow and was wondering if I should make a brace that connects to the rear side clamps to keep the sides from bowing in?
Red 57 Thunderbird 312 3spd O/D