Transmission shifter and linkage problem

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Mikes63

Transmission shifter and linkage problem

Post by Mikes63 »

Hello everyone,
Maybe someone has some insight for me.
A little history. Picked up 63 in Missiouri last may. Sat for eight years in garage, wheels were froze from brakes being locked ect. Had to winch vehicle out and onto trailer. Not sure what gear tranny was in. Got her home. A year later, shes running, all new brakes ect. Now the tranny linkage is all over the place drive is somewhere between neutral and reverse, reverse is close to park ect. I'm aware of the detent replacement and have followed all the manual procedures on how to adjust linkage, but it's just not working. After tonights round of adjustments. I got to place it back in park and hear a click, now I have nothing, tranny is stuck in drive,,, I think.
Going to drop the pan and see if clip came off of linkage inside. Any experiences or ideas would be most welcome.
Thank you in advance.

Mike
ABQTBird

Re: Transmission shifter and linkage problem

Post by ABQTBird »

Another member was having about this same problem. You might take a look at this thread: http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/p ... =6&t=12034 Alan has some instructions there concerning the shift detent inside the transmission.
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
1962 Corinthian White Hardtop, Medium Chestnut Metallic #89 Leather, A/C, P/W
2003 Premium Torch Red/Performance White HT, Partial Accent Interior, 1 of 47.
Past T-Bird: 1960 Convertible, 1974-1978
jgreene1

Post by jgreene1 »

I have a '63 Tbird and it always jerks going into reverse. I believe there is something missing in the reverse unit that is supposed to keep that from happening. Does anyone have a source for parts for these transmissions, and in particular having to do with the reverse gear? I live in Southern California.
Thx
Jim
ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

Have you already looked at your shift detent behind the steering wheel? That is the first thing to check before going into the transmission. The instructions to replace it are here http://www.southsandia.com/forum/websit ... etent.html. It costs about $100 for the parts and is well worth changing both while you are in there.
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

Tom (ABQTBird),
I haven’t seen your very helpful posts on the forum for quite a while. You’ve been missed. Welcome back!

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

Why thank you. I had to go back to work to earn a little more cash before full retirement. Work is a drag that gets in the way of our hobby isn't it?
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator