Gas tank install

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

dmtinker

Gas tank install

Post by dmtinker »

First time poster...I have a 1965 Special Edition that I got for my wife and I to do as a project. It came without a gas tank so I bought one and a sending unit. However, no instructions. I do not understand how the gasket/bayonet ring go together when installing the sending unit. I've done a lot of searching. Also on the tank, there is a small tube which, I'm guessing is an over pressure relief? It's a very small diameter.... as well as a plug in one corner...I'm assuming that's for cleaning? Any help would be appreciated.
David
jtschug

Re: Gas tank install

Post by jtschug »

The gasket goes between the sender and the tank. There is a little groove on the tank and the gasket goes in there. probably easier to do before installing the tank.

Yes, I'm assuming the plug is to drain out bad gas if needed.

I know there should be a vent on top of the tank, but I haven't taken my tank out yet.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
paulr

Post by paulr »

dmtinker wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:33 pm First time poster...
David
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the project.
there is a small tube which, I'm guessing is an over pressure relief? It's a very small diameter....
Question for you: Is this tube made of brass and roughly 5 or so inches long? What I'm after is which gas tank you bought--I think I know. The tube is a vent, and you need to know that you need to extend that tube a couple of feet longer--curl it around the contours. Somewhere I have a photo that'll help if I can manage to turn it up in the archives.
Any help would be appreciated.
I've never come across someone with a car minus a gas tank. There is more you wouldn't know in that situation. The tank straps and anchors that are no doubt missing you can get from any of the Tbird vendors easily. More importantly, there would have been an original heavy oil cloth serving as a vibration barrier that covered the full top and side surfaces of the tank that contact the trunk body. That's something you're going to have to fabricate yourself as you don't want the friction of the metal tank against the body. Most of the time we just reuse that blanket when we change tanks out, but you have a different case.
You didn't mention anything about the fuel filler tube, etc. Probably ought to make sure you have a red shop manual for '65 and a couple of Osborn schematic manuals. They're all cheap and, I think, necessary in your case. Good luck.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
dmtinker

Post by dmtinker »

Thank you for the help. When I posted last time I was exhausted so a lot of things that are obvious were lost on me.
I have the tank, straps, bolts etc. and figured out how to put in the sending unit which was more than obvious.

A few more less obvious questions. I am not sure how the unit should orient. I assume you put it in, align the tabs and it stays that way.
Another question is how to tell if I have a low fuel light. The wiring to the tank has all three holes but that does not mean they were used.

It's a '65 special edition if that helps.
paulr

Post by paulr »

In the center of your dash below the clock either there are 3 red old school idiot lights (one being low fuel) and a couple of knobs, or the area is clean—as in nothing. (Video shows a MY64; similar for 65).
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tCCfsM8lB6Q
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
dmtinker

Post by dmtinker »

Yes...I do have the low fuel light. I've also figured out the orientation. I'm waiting on the correct sending unit to be shipped.
Thank you for the great help.
aruysam

Post by aruysam »

Hello,

Just got a new tank for my 64 hard top. Was wondering if anyone can help me out with the manual or instruction to properly install the fuel filler tube. I installed the new o-ring on the tank opening (it was pre-greased) and it seems the filler tube would just sit there and the o-ring is what apparently would seal it - but I'm not 100%. I don't want to have any gas fumes or smell around the car as I used to have with the old rusty tank. Should I use silicone around the fuel filler tube after everything is in place or am I missing something here?

Does anyone have that section of a maintenance manual so that I can rest assured I'm doing the right thing?

Many thanks in advance!
tbird

Post by tbird »

You should not have to use anything other than the O-ring to seal the filler tube. Soulds like you should invest in a shop manual, they are available from the Tbird parts suppliers for about 35 bucks.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
paulr

Post by paulr »

aruysam@gmail.com wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:19 pm Hello,

Just got a new tank for my 64 hard top. Was wondering if anyone can help me out with the manual or instruction to properly install the fuel filler tube. I installed the new o-ring on the tank opening (it was pre-greased) and it seems the filler tube would just sit there and the o-ring is what apparently would seal it - but I'm not 100%. I don't want to have any gas fumes or smell around the car as I used to have with the old rusty tank. Should I use silicone around the fuel filler tube after everything is in place or am I missing something here?

Does anyone have that section of a maintenance manual so that I can rest assured I'm doing the right thing?

Many thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forum. There's a few more gas tank related items you'll run into in this procedure, i.e., vent, oil blanket insulator, straps, etc. Some are covered in the manual, some aren't. Good idea to get a manual for a thousand reasons. If you run into any other issues, there are "search" threads here that cover some, as well. We'll try to help if you get stuck.

I'm out of town at the minute. Best I can remember, the filler tube is a feel kinda thing. That o-ring isn't going to go anywhere. When you come up against it, a slow, very firm twist and push will end in a sudden give and it will fit right in. There are tabs, IIRC, or and up arrow (foggy memory) on the end your dealing with to indicate proper orientation. Sorry, wish I had my manual here. All I remember is slow firm push and twist and it pops in. Anybody correct me.
Let us know how it went; I'd like to know. Good luck.
Last edited by paulr on Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

I lubricated the part that actually slides into the tank with silicone grease (plumbers grease) and it slid in smoothly with moderate force and twisting it slightly back and forth.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
aruysam

Post by aruysam »

tbird wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:58 pm You should not have to use anything other than the O-ring to seal the filler tube. Soulds like you should invest in a shop manual, they are available from the Tbird parts suppliers for about 35 bucks.
Hi Tbird. I do have a shop manual, but I'm afraid it does not cover that specific install. Thanks anyways for your help.
aruysam

Post by aruysam »

Hi folks! Thank you for you input.

Please see photos attached of my new tank and neck filler.

I tried pushing and twisting the filler in as a test and it goes in no problem. My concern lies within the "sealing" part of the equation. I'm quite sure that a push/twist over that o-ring by itself will not prevent leaks or even just smell/fumes from coming out in hard turn... (I know how I like to take my turns... :) I just can't conceive that a firm push and twist thru an o-ring will prevent all that [pressurized] gas from coming out. Simply not a very good idea (at least not for a risk management gray matter).

Maybe they didn't design our birds to handle hard turns as we all know our birds are very capable of. If that was the case I need to look into "upgrading" this design.

Or am I missing something? Anyone had experience with leaking gas thru the tank o-ring/filler join when taking the birds to the max on hard right turns? Any other security mind ever upgraded this design?

I'm thinking to myself that if I'm not missing anything, perhaps just a bit of clear silicone around after everything is in place would prevent any slight bit of gas or fumes from coming out. Thoughts?

Sorry for the long post, but I think this is a big deal... (one should not take gas fittings lightly... safety first!).

Cheers!
Attachments
IMG_9446.jpg
IMG_9447.jpg
IMG_9448.jpg
IMG_9449.jpg
paulr

Post by paulr »

I get this.

Silicone is an interesting idea; certainly can’t hurt anything. You’re using a new reproduction tank and it looks like an existing OEM filler tube. Is the tank a Spectra, specifically? Is it some other brand? Id like to know about the existence of a copper vent, if any, on the top of the new tank.

I have never experienced lost fuel on hard corners, and I do take them comparatively hard given the confidence I place (maybe not so wise?) in a heavy duty front anti-sway bay I installed and a fully rebuilt front end I replaced with performance parts not used on the assembly line. Fumes have never been the problem either. But, since belonging to this board, I have read a few threads from some who have experienced both fumes and/or spills going around corners, mostly after filling their tank.

I have more trouble filling gas without spilling due to the silly almost lateral design of the tube, but honestly, these Birds are not a bad design if vented correctly and capped correctly.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
tbird

Post by tbird »

Is that your gas tank sitting in the trunk or is that where it is installed?
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
aruysam

Post by aruysam »

In the trunk just temporarily until I get this issue closed. Thanks for your question and watching my case!