Window glass channel

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Karl

Window glass channel

Post by Karl »

G'day.
I have been looking at repairing the window mechanism that rolls the window up and down in the doors. They work but the last time I had the inside panel of I noticed that the right hand one was badly rusted and the stop when the window was up tended to bend and not stop the window from going to high. That said they still work but will need attention in the near future.

I purchased a second hand "Channel and retainer assy" , I new it was not good but I only wanted to see how it was made and if I could replicate something that would do the job.
The rubber that holds the glass in the channel on the one that I purchased is to far gone and the one's in my car certainly would not be much better. I have tried to find someone who has the same rubber profile but it seems that nobody is making the rubber.
Does anybody know if you can purchase new rubber that holds the window in the channel? It has a unique profile, I think it is that shape so it seals the window on the top of the door when the window is up. Not to seal against rain but so you can't see into the inside of the door.
Here is a photo of the profile. I am not sure weather the lip goes to the outside or inside of the door.
Rubber moulding door glass.jpg
There is a mob not far from me that makes rubber products. I have made a inquiry if they have one that may do the job or I could cut to make it work but they didn't have any. They said that a die could be made to make the profile that I am looking for, the figure for the dies mentioned was $500 to $600. and a run would be 100 meters but no figure was mentioned as to how much per meter the rubber would cost.
This I thought was not that bad, and I thought would anyone be interested in purchasing some rubber if the dies were made. Or does everyone else just glue the glass in with silicon?

Or does somebody know if the rubber is already available?
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
RAVEN

Re: Window glass channel

Post by RAVEN »

Worth a try, contact RESTORATION SPECIALTIES AND SUPPLY, in Windber PA. Email info@restorationspecialties.com They may have the profile you are looking for. They have a wide selection of weatherstrips, clips, fastners and such.
Good luck
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
Karl

Post by Karl »

I tried them last year when I sent my division bars to them for relining. At that stage they didn't have any.
I did get some glass tape, small screws and rivets that I was looking for though.
Thanks.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Lip goes to the outboard side of the car.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
tbird

Post by tbird »

Karl

The Bird Nest has the material, it is made by Metro Rubber but they only sell through their dealers.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
krave

Post by krave »

Karl

Post by Karl »

G'day.
Kave, It is not the side channel it is the channel that the bottom edge of the glass sits in.

Thanks Jim, I have emailed both and awaiting replies, although I had a look at Metro Rubbers web pages and I couldn't find it.
Will let you know how I go.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop