Parking Brake release & bad Gas Gauge / Constant Voltage Regulator

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

jstrull66

Parking Brake release & bad Gas Gauge / Constant Voltage Regulator

Post by jstrull66 »

Hello Birdland,

When I shift out of Park, my parking brake does not release, so I am attempting to get to the diaphragm above the parking release, where the vacuum line is suppose to connect to from the neutral safety switch, but the large air inlet duct is in the way, so I am unable to get to the diaphragm.
Is there a good way to get to the vacuum diaphragm to make sure the vacuum hose is connected??

Also I filled the tank up and the Gas Gauge went dead, so I put a new sending unit in the tank and still the gauge does not work, so I am thinking I need a new Gas Gauge and maybe a new CVR, Am I on the right path?? It looks pretty easy to replace the gauge but the CVR looks like it might be more difficult to replace, what is the best way to change out the CVR inside the dash, thru speaker opening or under the dash?

1966 Thunderbird Town Landau 428

All information is truly appreciated.
Thank you,
Johhny T bird
Rt.146

Re: Parking Brake release & bad Gas Gauge / Constant Voltage Regulator

Post by Rt.146 »

With my limited knowledge (but learning ) on how the worm turns to fix a 66 T-Bird, the vacuum canister for the emergency brake is a nightmare even with the dash out to remove, I was able to hook up the vacuum line with some bending and twisting, not a fun adventure lying on your back doing this with limited lighting. the CVR is located on the inside of the dash on the left side of the clock, so by taking the clock out and being a good contortionist, it has been said you can get at the CVR to remove it, a dental mirror may help. BTW I bought a 66 Landau last November, and like the a mad hatter have taken the entire interior out including the headliner and dash.
jstrull66

Post by jstrull66 »

Thank you RT146

Yes I am learning that one must be a contortionist to work on these birds.

Maybe I should move to Sarasota, where the Ringling Circus people live LOL :badgrin:

Johnny T.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

I think if the CVR was bad the temp and oil pressure gauges would also not work
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
David Langhorne

Post by David Langhorne »

You can see the nipple on the can if you shine a flashlight in there but why bother? If it's come off you will hear a loud hissing when the engine is running.
Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

When I get stuck finding things on these cars, I go to eBay and search for the part or assembly. If you search for "Emergency Brake Pedal for 1966 Thunderbird" you will find a listing with pretty good photos of the complete assembly. You can easily see where the vacuum nipple is and have a good idea where to look.
I don't recall that it was too difficult to attach a vacuum line to it. As said, takes a bit of contortion, but doable.
As far as the CVR goes, if none of the gauges work, then the regulator is bad. IF the oil and temp work, then get under the car and ground the sender wire at the tank. The gauge should go to full. If it does, the sending unit is bad, if it doesn't then either the gauge or wiring is bad.
The CVR can be changed by removing the complete clock console (protect the paint on the dash below it), but it is awkward. Once more, a search on eBay will usually find a gauge pod with a photo of the back side so the CVR is visible. It will give you a good reference to find yours.
Hope this helps
Terry
64HT
jstrull66

Post by jstrull66 »

Terry64HT wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:47 pm When I get stuck finding things on these cars, I go to eBay and search for the part or assembly. If you search for "Emergency Brake Pedal for 1966 Thunderbird" you will find a listing with pretty good photos of the complete assembly. You can easily see where the vacuum nipple is and have a good idea where to look.
I don't recall that it was too difficult to attach a vacuum line to it. As said, takes a bit of contortion, but doable.
As far as the CVR goes, if none of the gauges work, then the regulator is bad. IF the oil and temp work, then get under the car and ground the sender wire at the tank. The gauge should go to full. If it does, the sending unit is bad, if it doesn't then either the gauge or wiring is bad.
The CVR can be changed by removing the complete clock console (protect the paint on the dash below it), but it is awkward. Once more, a search on eBay will usually find a gauge pod with a photo of the back side so the CVR is visible. It will give you a good reference to find yours.
Hope this helps
Terry
64HT

Thank you Terry ,for your Reply
Johnny T.
jstrull66

Post by jstrull66 »

jtschug wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:48 pm I think if the CVR was bad the temp and oil pressure gauges would also not work
Thank you JTschug