Seat frame color

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Jim Yergin

Seat frame color

Post by Jim Yergin »

I am restoring the seat in my '56. I want to repaint the frame. Can someone tell me what is the original color?
Thanks.
Jim Yergin
Jim Yergin

Re: Seat frame color

Post by Jim Yergin »

Searching old posts on another Third forum I found a posting that identified the color as Rustoleum Smoke Gray which is the color I was already planning on using.
Jim Yergin
fordrodsteven

Post by fordrodsteven »

Jim Yergin wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:48 am Searching old posts on another Third forum I found a posting that identified the color as Rustoleum Smoke Gray which is the color I was already planning on using.
Jim Yergin
Gil's garage over at CTCI also lists Rustoleum "smoke gray" as the color. Paint number 7786
Steve - 1955 Thunderbird
Jim Yergin

Post by Jim Yergin »

Thanks very much for the confirmation.
Jim Yergin
tnswt12

Post by tnswt12 »

I am reviving this post because I have questions regarding the seat frame color.

My '57 has a MANUAL seat and currently the frame is a tannish/dusk rosy color. I have the seat out so I am not just looking at the ends of the seat frame that accommodates the screws that are used for adjusting the upright (back) part of the seat.

I know there is a link on Gil's Garage that says to use Rust-Oleum Smoke Gray, but I understand that is for the power, or the electric seat frame bar.

My question is: Does the manual seat frame also take the Smoke Gray color or is there another color that needs to be used for conformity?
Haz567

Post by Haz567 »

I don't have the documentation in front of me now but I remember that the seat bottom frame is Argent. The only Smoke Gray color item is the attaching link (or bar) that goes to both sides with a power seat. This bar has another link that attaches to the drive motor in about the middle of the bar. Will check on it tomorrow.
1957Birdman

Post by 1957Birdman »

There is no difference I am aware of between the manual and power seat frame when it comes to paint color. Use what Gil suggests and you won't go wrong.
Lew Bachman
1957 Colonial White
tnswt12

Post by tnswt12 »

I spoke with the shop folks at CASCO this morning and they advised me that they use the Smoke Gray color on both the manual and power seat frames.

Attached is a picture of my seat frame. It does not look to be a gray to me but I plan to purchase a can of the Rust-Oleum Smoke Gray today and do a little test painting. I'll post the results.
IMG_1860.jpg
Haz567

Post by Haz567 »

Sorry; misunderstood the question. I was talking about the seat operating mechanism, not the "seat frame".
tnswt12

Post by tnswt12 »

Today I purchased the Smoke Gray by Rust-Oleum and it is nothing but a battleship gray color, in my opinion. In no way does this color resemble the color of the seat frame on my car.

Again, I don't doubt Mr. Gil used Smoke Gray on the power bar on an electric seat but he also mentions more than once in the Restoration Manual that the color of the seat frame is a brown/gray, not Smoke Gray. To be factual, Mr. Gil only references the Smoke Gray color in regards to the electric seat power bar.

As further support the seat frame is a brown/gray I found this picture online of a 1957 Thunderbird seat and it bears evidence of a brown/gray color exactly the seat frame color found in my car.
ezgif.com-gif-maker.jpg
1957Birdman

Post by 1957Birdman »

One of the members of our local chapter of CTCI had his seat powder coated with Spraylat
Polyester TGIC Beige Grey (RAL 7006) powder. It is quite close to the original color. Once the new upholstery is on there is very little of the frame that shows. I hope this helps.
Lew Bachman
1957 Colonial White
tnswt12

Post by tnswt12 »

Thank's for that information, Birdman. I don't have to paint my entire seat frame; I just need to freshen the two end pieces. Still, I wanted the paint to be somewhat correct.
tnswt12

Post by tnswt12 »

Mixed my own paint. Photo attached showing new paint and new stop hardware. Plus I lubricated the tracks and adjusted the cable. Seat works like brand new now. What a difference a little lube makes.
Attachments
IMG_1864.jpg