1966 390 slow ignition start

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

abaucom

1966 390 slow ignition start

Post by abaucom »

Not new to forums, not mechanically inclined. Did searches on issue below but still not sure what I need to know before I talk to my mechanic (4th shop and best so far).
Issue: Turn key, engine hesitates before starting.

The following was best info I found upon reviewing bills from a shop that worked on my 1966 (w/390) a few years ago. No longer work with this shop as some of the work had to be redone at another shop last year):
Installed new 600 CFM Classic Holley Carburetor. Shop told me they would eliminate points'.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sy ... /0-80457SA
Invoice indicates: "Install carburetor, replumb fuel lines"; "Wire choke & set up new carb"; "Set up electronic ignition and set up carburetor".
Other than the carb, no idea what parts were replaced.

Suggestions as to additional parts/upgrades I now need for a faster engine start up when I turn the key, reduce engine start hesitation. I have reviewed other posts mentioning 'Pertronix' Distributor, Ingniter II, Flamethrower II. Reviewed Pertronix website, still no clue what parts to order, if any, that will help my 1966 '390' engine start faster when I turn the key (engine rebuilt by PO about 16 years ago, about 2,200 miles since rebuild). If possible, specific parts #'s would be helpful.

Perhaps a minor issue to some. I take my Bird conv. to shows only during the few warm months here in Canada. It looks good but hate when it hesitates to start. Watch auto shows on cable, I see old cars start up fast when the key is turned, I must be missing something to get my Bird started fast.
T-Bird Registry #19119
1966 T-Bird convertible
2011 Camaro 2LT
mcgsxr

Re: 1966 390 slow ignition start

Post by mcgsxr »

For clarity - you turn the key, and then there is a long pause, and then it suddenly starts?

My 69 had an issue where it would sometimes not start at all until I jiggled the shift lever or pulled it "up towards P further". It was resolved when I replaced the turn signal switch, so I assume it was related to the neutral safety switch. I wonder if that has anything to do with yours?
Rehomed - 1969 Red Landau Tudor survivor, 34K original miles. TBird Registry #37047
abaucom

Post by abaucom »

No pause. The engine turns over for 10-15 seconds before it starts. Have to be carefully not to over pump the accelerator so as not to flood the engine.
T-Bird Registry #19119
1966 T-Bird convertible
2011 Camaro 2LT
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

abaucom wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:06 am No pause. The engine turns over for 10-15 seconds before it starts. Have to be carefully not to over pump the accelerator so as not to flood the engine.
Does it do this both for both hot and cold starts?
Richard

Post by Richard »

My 65 does the same thing if she sits for a week or so without use. And if I drive her again later the same day or within a couple of days she starts right up. The fuel takes a little pumping to get into the carb. After sitting the fuel dries up in the carb. Could be your issue. I know that's what happens with mine..Good luck..
1965 Hardtop Charcoal Gray Metallic
VTCI#12157
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

You can test to see if it's a fuel delivery delay by spraying a little starting fluid (available in spray cans at auto parts stores) into the carb before trying to crank it.

Also, it might be worthwhile checking the operation of the choke.

~Steve
mcgsxr

Post by mcgsxr »

Thanks for the clarification.

Not sure it translates, but my 69 always took a lot of cycles before it would start if it sat for longer than 2 days. It usually did, since I only drove it about 1000 miles a year for the 6 years I owned it.

Adding the Pertronix did speed up the starting process some, but nothing like a modern car.

I found the best process for a cold start to be - pump accelerator to floor once, press gas "some", turn key and wait. It usually would turn over after 10-15 seconds.

For hot starts it was immediately ready to go, no need to even touch the gas pedal, just twist the key and off it went.

Good luck with it.
Rehomed - 1969 Red Landau Tudor survivor, 34K original miles. TBird Registry #37047
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Can't really add much but to say that sure is a gorgeous car!

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
cacockrum

Post by cacockrum »

Here’s an easy thing to check: If your car has the original 4100 carburetor, the diaphragm in the accelerator pump can develop a leak which will cause the gas in the float bowl to leak out onto the intake manifold. When that happens, the engine must be cranked long enough to refill the float bowl before the car will start. You can take the air cleaner off and look for a puddle of gas below the front of the carburetor. The diaphragm can be easily replaced by removing the 4 screws that hold the pump cover to the front of the carburetor.
abaucom

Post by abaucom »

Thanks for all the advice, gives me some things to explore.
T-Bird Registry #19119
1966 T-Bird convertible
2011 Camaro 2LT