1965 suspension/steering

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

vnambee

1965 suspension/steering

Post by vnambee »

I just bought my first Tbird. This is a beautiful car, but it steers like a damn canoe. I've ordered air shocks for the rear and new shocks for the front and I plan to install 225/70/15 tires in the hope that it will make the car drive better. I'm seeking advice. My money is limited. Thanks in advance for your help.
jtschug

Re: 1965 suspension/steering

Post by jtschug »

Make sure your tie rod ends and ball joints are good, then install a heavy duty front sway bar.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

vnambee wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:59 amThis is a beautiful car, but it steers like a damn canoe.
Your Thunderbird weighs over 2 tons and was designed as luxury car. JTSchug's suggestion of a HD front sway bar and a tight new front suspension is good, but the best you can hope for without radical changes is a somewhat more nimble canoe.
vnambee wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:59 amI've ordered air shocks for the rear and new shocks for the front and I plan to install 225/70/15 tires in the hope that it will make the car drive better.
It's common to want to add air shocks to give a lift to sagging rear springs. If that's what you're doing, there are two traditional caveats: First, you'll be transferring loads to the unibody in ways it doesn't expect. At the very least, be sure the shock mounts and surrounding sheet metal are sound and free of rust. Second, new or re-arched rear springs are relatively cheap and may do more for the handling than the shocks.

Congrats, by the way, on the new bird and welcome to the forum! If you have a photo of the car, let's see it!

~Steve
paulr

Post by paulr »

I second the front HD sway bar. Don't expect a miracle; it helps quite a bit on cornering--that's it. One of my buds put it this way: the HDSB gives the old '60's mushy corner more of a less mushy 70's/80's corner. (You might-could beef up the end links for safety.)

And don't trouble yourself with the rear HD sway bar. You won't notice a thing, IMHO. Good luck, and welcome to the 'Bird world.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Chances are, it needs just about anything that moves under the car. Fix those items, install the bigger sway bar and it will drive like a new early 70's canoe er, car.
Oh and I second the rear SB. My body shop talked me into it but it was worthless and takes some modification to keep from banging into the sub-frame. Wish I had spent the $250 on Amazon stock instead.
:drinking:
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
rheckman

Post by rheckman »

Heavy duty sway bar is a must.
Ball joints,and wheel bearings as well.
Good luck.
Randy Mattson

Post by Randy Mattson »

and don't forget control arms and bushings. That helped my '65 quite a bit.
Good Luck!
Randy Mattson
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin