66 T-Bird-Power windows

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Rt.146

66 T-Bird-Power windows

Post by Rt.146 »

On the driver side the motor is fasten to the door it has a bracket so it can be fasten by a long screw to the bottom of the door, I took the regulator out, cleaned it up, it is working. I just got around to the passenger side, the motor is not fasten to the door it seems to ride it self up and down with the regulator, does anyone know if this is correct that it is not fastened like the drivers side? A note on the window regulators, the drivers side has metal gears (worm gear and drive gear) I replaced those two. The passenger side has a plastic drive gear and a metal worm gear, quite a different set up then the drivers side, it at first glance seems the plastic drive gear could be replaced with a metal drive gear, just a thought for now. Any ideas why the differences between these windows?
Sierra John

Re: 66 T-Bird-Power windows

Post by Sierra John »

I worked on my passenger side once (never touched the driver's side). I remember a bracket and long screw holding it at the bottom.
1966 Town Hardtop
cacockrum

Post by cacockrum »

Here’s some photos which show:
1. The bracket that secures the bottom of the motor to the lower portion of the door
2. A disassembled gear mechanism including steel worm gear and a plastic gear that interfaces with the worm gear. However, on the other side of this plastic gear is a metal gear that interfaces with the window regulator. This is for a quarter window, but the motor and gear configuration is the same as for the door window.
3. A disassembled door window motor and gear showing the metal gear as part of the drive gear assembly
I have never seen different gear arrangement, but I have seen cases where the lower support bracket is missing, probably left off during previous work. I don't know that it is essential, but unless I badly mistaken, it was there when the car left the factory.
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

That is interesting the driver side has that bracket and a different gear system. Your picture looks exactly like mine does for the passenger side both the before and after now that I cleaned it but no bracket most probably left off, if it was worked on in the past. Thanks for the reply.
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

My driver side window is connected from the motor to the regulator by a plastic coupler (see pic.) The passenger side worm gear and housing is part of the armature,which connects to the regulator, wanting to remove the old gunk from behind the worm gear I removed the it from the casing not a good move in that the brushes are being pushed out of their slots at the bottom of the case by the springs making it difficult to reinstall the armature which makes contact with the brushes at the bottom of the case. I'm trying a little super glue on the brushes copper wire to hold them in place, though I'm beginning to wonder how I will free them once the armature is in..
coupler.jpg
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

I think 1964 was the last year they used that coupler design for the motors in the doors. For 65 and 66, they usually had the same setup as the rear windows.
Are we talking 66 here?
Terry
64HT
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

My car is a 66 Landau, no back windows. Ford may have had a few designs using the coupler left over and put one in the drivers side of my car. The motor on the passenger side is different, the worm gear is part of the armature if one is to be very careful you can separate the part of the regulator the worm screw goes in without pulling it out of the case, which will allow the brushes to pop out of their holders giving someone a very hard time putting them back, I used some super glue to hold them in,then at the bottom of the motor, opening it up slightly after installing the armature there is a small hole where the brushes go sticking a probe in it and pushing on the back of the brushes I believe they were freed, for someone like myself who did not know how that motor on the passenger side was set up, I don't know if it can be removed without disturbing the brushes. Bottom line, I think the motor is a throw away part, not made to be restored, though maybe someone with electrical component experience on cars, could figure it out.
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

Hmmm
I think you have to consider the possibility that in the distant, dark past of your car, someone substituted a regulator assembly from an earlier year. The only 66 I know of that still used that design was a Falcon. Everything else was converted from 63 to 65 I think.
The regulator design in your passenger door is far superior. Maybe begin a hunt for a replacement. I have seen them the odd time online.
The plastic gear you refer to is available in two designs, one that is all plastic with 3 dogs in a triangular shaped cavity and the other that uses a metal center with 4 springs to adsorb the shock. Both types have a metal gear that meshes with the toothed crescent on the window regulator.
If you change these, check the number of teeth.
Hope this is of some help
Terry
64HT
tbird

Post by tbird »

A trick that we use to hold the brushes in place to reassemble motors is my wife's. She ties the brush's in the compressed position with thread and holds them while I slid the armature into position, works for us.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
55Greg&Amy

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

The thread thing is exactly how I’ve always done it.
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

Thanks for the tip about the string, I tried it, seemed to work, though I ended up taking the motor to an electric motor repair shop,they will take care of whatever it needs, I'm sure it will be a reasonable cost..
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

I got back my passenger main side motor from Ace it had been binding and the overload protection needed some attention, besides I had removed the worm screw not knowing it was part of the armature shaft in doing so the springs which are located at the bottom of the case came out, all that was fixed for $40.00, not bad in my opinion.