First hand experience with this "reproduction" AM/FM radio

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

stove

First hand experience with this "reproduction" AM/FM radio

Post by stove »

Anyone buy one? What is the cheese factor?

http://www.radiosforoldcars.com/newradiofordtbird63.htm

Thanks!
1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
Mheiron

Re: First hand experience with this "reproduction" AM/FM radio

Post by Mheiron »

I like the looks of it.

That price has kept me away.

The old radios sound so baaad but I'd also like to hear if anyone has tried one.
Mark H.
Current bird nest:
1961 Restored Chestnut Convertible
1963 M-code Hard Top - Being restored
1995 White T-bird Super Coupe - Fun Toy
kmthrockmorton

Post by kmthrockmorton »

Found it a bit cheaper at the link listed below. I've been looking at getting one also. The Custom Autosound just doesn't look exactly right to me for some reason.

http://www.classiccarstereos.com/1963-f ... 61-62.html
jbrd66

Post by jbrd66 »

If the original AM radio is working, another less expensive option would be the addition of a RediRad (https://redirad.com/). This device converts the AM radio to accept input from anything that accepts a 1/8" mini-jack (for example, a phone or MP3 player). It works like the old FM converters - you tune the AM radio to frequency 1000 Khz and the RadiRad automatically takes control of the input. Install is simple - you patch the antenna and provide a 12V input. It works reasonably well (give the constraints of the factory AM radio and speaker). I mounted mine under the speaker mount and ran the cable with the 1/8" jack under the console into the ash tray.
Richard

Post by Richard »

jbrd66 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:19 pm If the original AM radio is working, another less expensive option would be the addition of a RediRad (https://redirad.com/). This device converts the AM radio to accept input from anything that accepts a 1/8" mini-jack (for example, a phone or MP3 player). It works like the old FM converters - you tune the AM radio to frequency 1000 Khz and the RadiRad automatically takes control of the input. Install is simple - you patch the antenna and provide a 12V input. It works reasonably well (give the constraints of the factory AM radio and speaker). I mounted mine under the speaker mount and ran the cable with the 1/8" jack under the console into the ash tray.
The RediRad works great. On my 65 I have hidden the Sirius radio in my center console. What is also great I did not have to drill any holes in anything and used Velcro with the Sirius dock in the console. All hidden and looks stock which I prefer..They sell a Redi Rad that works on an AM and another that works with a FM radio. May sounds strange but I like hearing the music with the single speaker,reminds me of my first cars..And the wife likes listening to the 60s music channel when we cruise..
1965 Hardtop Charcoal Gray Metallic
VTCI#12157
GeoffInCarlsbad

Post by GeoffInCarlsbad »

I have the original AM Radio, and it works. I had to replace the speaker, but it works. I then put in a re-pro AM/FM, and it works ok too. I went for an inexpensive one. But what really made the difference was 1) leaving the original AM in there dash, using it on occasion, but 2) just taking a portable blue-tooth speaker set I could pair into stereo with me, and listening to anything I want via the smart phone. That way I maintain the original look, and feel, but get to listen to my favorite tunes in stereo! Blue tooth speakers are cheap.
Geoff in Carlsbad CA
1961 T-Bird Convertible (in progress)
Love it! ::?
VTTBird

Post by VTTBird »

I agree with the above posts touting the RediRad installations. I installed a RediRad in my 1962 and ran the Aux cable to the console. I plug in an MP3 player and listen to my favorite tunes through the original AM radio and single speaker. The quality of the sound is good and enhances the "old car" experience that I like. Inexpensive and it works.......my kind of device!!! And Matt, the inventor of the RediRad is a good guy to talk to and do business with.

Ken
Ken
1962 Thunderbird Hardtop
VTCI # 12645
Wklink

Post by Wklink »

Would a 62 have a negative or positive ground? I'm not sure which I would buy if I bought this.
Thomas Cofield
1962 Hardtop, 'Thumper' Red/Black
1962 Hardtop, 'The Survivor' White/Red
VTCI-PNW
RSSVTCI
stove

Post by stove »

Negative Ground
comrade

Post by comrade »

I like the looks of this unit but pricey?

I recently purchased and installed a custom auto sound unit which has the a few more features and sounds great, but.....
I thought that I had done my homework but when the unit arrived it had an old style Apple plug which I did not think would be an issue as I have an adapter but the newer IPhone does not interface with the unit.

No problem, the unit also has an AUX cable but it is so bloody short it that even with optimum routing it comes out just underneath the dash and barely at arms length.

Yes I know, should have returned it, I did not think to, nor would I have bench tested it anyway. It is installed and sounds great, I found an old IPhone which works with the adapter. Like most of us, the car does not get a lot of miles, I am a wee bit annoyed but it works.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Can't you get a extension lead for the Aux cable?
I have a custom auto sound unit and I have a extention lead for the U.S.B. jack which from memory goes into the Aux cable.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
stove

Post by stove »

Boy... It's hard to believe that this company tooled up, designed and put this into production, and so few bought it, that not even ONE person on here has tried one? I guess I will be the ice breaker... Stay tuned.
Also noted, the Auto Sound unit's are significantly less $, but they also look nothing like an original unit.
comrade

Post by comrade »

Karl wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:58 pm Can't you get a extension lead for the Aux cable?
I have a custom auto sound unit and I have a extention lead for the U.S.B. jack which from memory goes into the Aux cable.
Karl.
Agreed, I thought that this would be the answer but I need a double female to make the connection. I went to the usual suspects, Best buy, etc but came up empty. I am sure I can find one on line so will head in this direction, I just like the functionality of the Apple interface in the radio and hate to lose this option but the AUX will work just as well.

Good input, thanks
OldRusty1

Post by OldRusty1 »

Better late than never with a reply...…
I purchased and installed this radio in July '16. To take advantage of the multi speaker stereo output I purchased the Front Dual Stereo Speaker (BRD S01) from Larry's along with replacement kick panels. The 4" speakers in the above dual plate (BRD S01) were removed and installed in the kick panels as they are thin speakers. I installed a pair of Audiofrog GS42 4" 2 way speakers in the front dual plate. The only other item required was to shave the parking brake rubber pad to clear the kick panel speaker grill. Looks great, sounds great even at speed with the top down listening to the FM Oldies station.
'62 Chestnut Convertible, White Top/Chestnut Interior
VTCI #12660
Past T-Birds:
'65HT, '66TL, '63SR, '78DJE

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits". Albert Einstein
eberry2001

Post by eberry2001 »

What did you use as the continuous power wire?