Electronic Ignition

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Bud1941

Electronic Ignition

Post by Bud1941 »

I’m thinking of installing an electronic ignition in my 57 T-bird. I have a 312 engine. Do 312’s have a hex head shaft or do they have a flat/slot shaft? Just trying to find out without removing the existing distributor. One other question. Is it worth the time, effort, and money to install an electronic ignition?
Joe Johnston

Re: Electronic Ignition

Post by Joe Johnston »

Hex shaft. I still use points and condenser with no problems in both my Thunderbirds.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
Bud1941

Post by Bud1941 »

Thanks Joe (regarding the hex) and I really value your opinion regarding the points and condenser. Certainly will save me a couple of bucks.
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

I've often read that the electronic conversions are "better", but never any dyno testing to show how much better the engine performs before and after. I don't do any drag racing, so squeezing that last bit of HP out of an engine is not a concern, neither is the possibility of a mile per gallon. I'm a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it sort of guy", but realize others don't feel that way and want changes. Enjoy the ride either way!!
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
CSavaglio

Post by CSavaglio »

I use an electronic ignition in my '55, but that was only because I had to. I couldn't locate a reasonably priced Ford tach drive to use, so I used a Mallory tach drive distributor and converted it to a 6V pos ground Ignitor.

In all my old cars over the years, I've had a mix of electronic and points. Considering how much old car are driven, the lifespan of points usually isn't much of an issue...most of us aren't driving them 5k or 10k miles a year. I personally prefer points. If they're set up properly and correctly, I haven't had any issues with them. The bad part about electronic ignitions is that if they fail, you're getting a tow. With points, you can keep a points file in the car and tinker with them to get the car running and get home. Pertronix says you can keep the points in the car to swap in if something happens, but honestly, the wiring is usually different enough that it'd make it difficult to do.
CSavaglio

Post by CSavaglio »

I think the "better" thing is because those people don't know how to correctly set up points or they're replacing worn out/burned out components, so the comparison is no so much between points and electronic, but worn out points and electronic.

Electronic ignitions don't usually have much in the way of adjustments, so if you get it wired up right, it's as good as it can be. Points take some time and effort to set up...more than just a feeler gauge. Dwell is important.

Unless you're switching to a high energy ignition, I can't really see how it'd make significantly more power on the dyno and even then, that would only be if you were revving high enough for it to matter. It would compensate for something like a worn out cam in the distributor, tho.
1957Birdman

Post by 1957Birdman »

I've had a Pertronix ignition in my 1957 for 20 years and am very pleased with it. It has been nice not to have to worry about setting both the points and the dwell of the distributor. I think the gas mileage is also better with an electronic ignition. Of course points and condenser work fine, as long as everything is adjusted properly. The other thing that is nice about the Pertronix setup is that other than one additional wire it looks like a totally stock setup from the outside.
Regards,
Lew Bachman
1957 Colonial White
Bud1941

Post by Bud1941 »

Again, thanks to everyone who responded to my query. The points (no pun intended) of view are really appreciated... And I feel as a more informed Tbird owner.
seany-boy

Post by seany-boy »

great discussion. I purchased Pertronix about 12 months ago and it is still on my shelf :oops:

People had advised me both ways and so far the old points and car keep on going so I have not really had the incentive to make the change. It is still on my list however... for a rainy day.

I have had electronic in my 70 Mustang for 9 years and not had a problem.
Red 57 Thunderbird 312 3spd O/D
Ferrbird

Post by Ferrbird »

Installed electronic on my 57, runs awesome, easy install and no regrets.