Turbocharged 1962 Thunderbird

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

angrybird62

Turbocharged 1962 Thunderbird

Post by angrybird62 »

Hey Guys, I'm new to this forum, just thought I'd share some pictures of my T-Bird setup in case any of you were looking at doing something a little on the wild side with your bird. I call it the Angry Bird

Here's the list of Mods so far:

Engine- Stock 351w (was already swapped in when I purchased the car)
Exhaust system- Made complete system myself in the garage from a Summit random box of bends and a TIG welder.
Turbo Setup - 76mm eBay turbo, CX Racing 60mm wastegate, CX Racing Blow Off Valve
Fuel Injection- FiTech 1200 HP Power Adder
Transmission- C4, B&M Rebuild kit, Performance automatic pro shift servo, and pro race pump. (Also required custom length driveshaft)
Rearend- Original 3:10 gear. (Soon to be rebuilt with new 3:50 gears)
Other Mods- Front Disc brake swap (Tomsclassic ebay kit), Floor shifter added in center console, Jamco drop springs in the front, Also knocked out the center headlights and added air ram funnels, one is functional for the turbo inlet.

Bodywork, paint and interior work coming someday, too much money in go-fast parts.

ozbird

Re: Turbocharged 1962 Thunderbird

Post by ozbird »

That think looks wicked - you sure have not held back, what needs to be done is done! I like the porthole in the panel, is that something to do with air outlet?

I have heard the 351 when it is worked is pretty good in the heavy t'bird and your car must move well now. I think you needed those disc brakes! I used a hydroboost system in mine - takes up a lot less room.

Keep the updates coming, be interested in your thoughts along the lines of the new drivetrain. In Australia we have a lot of Cleveland engine builders so if I did change the FE it would be a Cleveland.

Graeme :mrgreen:
1962 Hardtop - in Melbourne, Australia
angrybird62

Post by angrybird62 »

ozbird wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:05 am That think looks wicked - you sure have not held back, what needs to be done is done! I like the porthole in the panel, is that something to do with air outlet?

I have heard the 351 when it is worked is pretty good in the heavy t'bird and your car must move well now. I think you needed those disc brakes! I used a hydroboost system in mine - takes up a lot less room.

Keep the updates coming, be interested in your thoughts along the lines of the new drivetrain. In Australia we have a lot of Cleveland engine builders so if I did change the FE it would be a Cleveland.

Graeme :mrgreen:
Thanks Ozbird!

Its been running good, everything works as it should and its quick! The hole in the fender is the exhaust, I had nowhere else to dump it out of the turbo so I tried to keep it as classy looking as possible. I would definitely like to figure out that hydroboost system later down the road, I could use all the space I can get! I've heard the clevlands are pretty popular over there, I'm sure it would do just as good as the Windsor. My motor is bone stock except for the turbo and the fitech injection, and it takes 8 pounds of boost like a champ. I'll try posting some more pics of the car soon, haven't done much work on it lately except swap in a 3.89 gear, which REALLY helped get her going out of the hole.

Cheers!
angrybird62

Post by angrybird62 »

ozbird

Post by ozbird »

I like it !!
1962 Hardtop - in Melbourne, Australia
El Leon

Post by El Leon »

That looks awesome! And well done on the home-brew setup!
Stirling Moss once said “There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love.”

But then Albert Einstein replied, “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”