Convertible Top Frame overhaul.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Bigtallbird

Convertible Top Frame overhaul.

Post by Bigtallbird »

I was finally able to access and disassemble the convertible top of my 62. Sent Tom Chitwood all the relays and limit switches and he found a few defective parts that he will fix. The wiring was not as bad as it appeared, but there were a few worn spots found. The cloth mesh pretty much disintegrated so I will be repairing and re wrapping the whole section. The big issues now are the frame. The frame bases are broken in half at the package tray section. I pulled the pins to send those pieces for repair. Now I see that all the pins on the driver side are sloppy, The main package tray section pivot hole is over 1/8" larger than the pin. Tom suggested possibly having the welder fill it and drill new holes. I am wondering if there is a solution of installing a bushing in all the holes. Would this allow for a smoother actuation, or is it too much effort? Ill post pics later. Looking for any suggestions on how best address the sloppy points to get the mechanism to open smoothly and any ideas for wrapping the harness. I bought some of the vulcanizing rubber cloth covered tape as it seems the most durable.

Anthony
Joe Johnston

Re: Convertible Top Frame overhaul.

Post by Joe Johnston »

As a convertible owner and retiree from a large machine shop my thoughts are more along the lines of "what services are available to you and the budget"?

Just to have the neighbor weld the hole and redrill will probably create miss alignment and binding, while a machine shop could just ream the hole and use an oversized pin or have the option of a bushing with a standard/correct pin.

Several ways to make the repair work and look like new. Check out a local machine shop and seek their advice.

Thus reminds me to oil all the pivot pins again!
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
Bigtallbird

Post by Bigtallbird »

Fortunately the welder is pretty skilled. He' restores vintage aircraft and is quite the fabricator. I'll see what he says when I drop off the parts.
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

Sounds like you will be in good hands, and very lucky to have someone skilled that can handle the job.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink